Do you dry out your sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Now that I have your attention: More divers are clipping on an SMB and reel or spool as standard equipment whether diving salt, quarries, or lakes. I just recently started unfurling my safety sausage and uncoiling my fingerspool to dry out after a day of diving; I use to just throw it in my box. It's really a sort of a pain when I put my gear away until the next dive rolling up the sauage and then respooling 100' of line. I figure if I don't do this, eventually the line will rot and the sauage will mildew and start to rot. Do all of you do this as a standard practice and I just finally got smart? or is it one of those things that may just be overlooked when putting gear away?

Thread title sounds sounds dirty :p

I don't uncoil my line, but I do unroll my SMB and hang it with the rest of my stuff.

Here are some pictures of my stuff drying: gallery link.

In this case, my SMB (right under my boots, next to the shears) is rolled up because I didn't actually dive with it. Normally it would be unfurled.

IMG_02101.JPG

with a sausage dryer of course... :D

I unroll my sausage but not my spool. I just leave the spool attached to the sausage and hang them in the garage for 3-4 days to dry.

Denny ... I was gonna practice some with mine last weekend at Gilboa and I forgot. I had so much fun watching all the bass at our safety stop that I forgot to shoot my bag once or twice. Oh well, next time!

I unfurl the smb and hang it up to dry. I do not uncoil the line on the spool. Considering that on some dives I carry a 400' reel, a 160' spool, and a 100' spool ... that'd be an awful lot of line to have hanging around.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I wash and hang the liftbag to keep it from getting mildew. The spool I just hose off without unspooling.

Gotta admit, I just took my smb outta my bc pocket & unrolled it for the first time in a couple years. Wasn't moldy or anything so I guess it eventually dries in the pocket. My actual lift bag (100lb) I unclip & open to dry (those are too expensive). My reel I only unspool underwater, figure it'll dry on it's own & 300' of line would be a pita.

Washing, rinsing, and drying can't hurt, but in my experience it is unecessary.

I don't bother drying out either of my sausages. One is similar to the Trident FM36 open ended orange plastic tube, used only for surface signalling. To protect it from punture I put it inside a some skinny bicycle innertube. Since it is for emergency use only, it just stays in my BCD pocket, even while rinsing and drying the BCD. I inspect it every 3 or 4 months.

My other sausage is a 4"x44" oral inflate sausage, around which I have wrapped 30' of 2mm braided cord. I deploy it from 20' or so as a "Don't hit me!" sort of warning to boats on the surface. That sausage is in the BCD pocket for about 90% of my dives, and stays in the BCD pocket both during rinsing and drying. I used to rinse it separately, but have found through experience (i.e. I forgot and nothing bad happened) that it doesn't need to be taken out and separately rinsed.
I haven't seen any damage or wear on the sausage in 4 or 5 years, other than some discoloration from a split ring that turned out not to be stainless.

I'll usually unfurl and dry out a much larger SMB that I use on just a small percentage of dives, but only because it spends most of its time in storage rather than in use.

Charlie Allen

I dry my sausage at the end of a dive trip. I don't bother uncoiling my spool. I figure that nylon line is not going to get corrode easily, and if the line does start to mildew or look worn, I'll just replace it.

I do rinse my spool if diving in salt.

Back
Top Bottom