Underwater Navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Nice Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
Has anyone read Under Water Navigation by Royer and Scott?
Any recommendations for other books on navigation?
Thanks
Nick

Mr. Nice Guy once bubbled...
Hello,
Has anyone read Under Water Navigation by Royer and Scott?
Any recommendations for other books on navigation?
Thanks
Nick

I have it, I liked it. NAUI's Advanced Diving has a worthwhile chapter, and the rest of the book is great.

I tought land nav for a while and any army surplus store should have some land nav manuals. As always practice makes perfect, but getting the basics out of the way on land helps so much when you're in the water. If you can find any books that cover night land nav (trust the compas) you'll find that that will be the biggest help, especially when you're in low viz.

As the former Fin Swimming Director for the Underwater Society of America, I need to weigh in here for the sport of underwater orienteering. Competitions are held in this event, and the World Underwater Federation, CMAS, is the sanctioning organization. They had the European competition in November of 2002. It is quite an event, and they do swim very, very fast using monofins. Here is the web site:

European Championships in Underwater Orienteering

If you are interested, the sanctioning organization in the United States is the Underwater Society of America, but I don't think they have had competitions in this area anytime recently. But if you want to organize a team...

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom