Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Underwater Navigation

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

Underwater Navigation

Hello,
    Has anyone read Under Water Navigation by Royer and Scott?
    Any recommendations for other books on navigation?
    Thanks
    Nick

NA

Has not set a "status"

[QUOTE][i]Mr. Nice Guy once bubbled... [/i]...

Mr. Nice Guy once bubbled...
    Hello,
    Has anyone read Under Water Navigation by Royer and Scott?
    Any recommendations for other books on navigation?
    Thanks
    Nick
    I have it, I liked it. NAUI's Advanced Diving has a worthwhile chapter, and the rest of the book is great.

ScubaBoard Contributor

Has not set a "status"

I tought land nav for a while and any army su...

I tought land nav for a while and any army surplus store should have some land nav manuals. As always practice makes perfect, but getting the basics out of the way on land helps so much when you're in the water. If you can find any books that cover night land nav (trust the compas) you'll find that that will be the biggest help, especially when you're in low viz.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Blog Entries

Underwater Orienteering

As the former Fin Swimming Director for the Underwater Society of America, I need to weigh in here for the sport of underwater orienteering. Competitions are held in this event, and the World Underwater Federation, CMAS, is the sanctioning organization. They had the European competition in November of 2002. It is quite an event, and they do swim very, very fast using monofins. Here is the web site:

European Championships in Underwater Orienteering

If you are interested, the sanctioning organization in the United States is the Underwater Society of America, but I don't think they have had competitions in this area anytime recently. But if you want to organize a team...

SeaRat
    I've been called an "old Coot." Well, that would be the American Coot (Fulica americana ) or mud-hen, and I've done my share of mucking around in low visibility, so it applies. But, you're never too old to learn something new.