Airbrushed Airtanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyrider003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was just wondering if anyone has ever sent an airtank off that have anything airbrushed on it. I have a career as a Firefighter and I was thinking of have some firefighter theme airbrushed onto the air bottle. Just kinda thought of having an air tank thats not "ordinary". Just wanted some thoughts from other people.

Thanks,
Michael

You could try scubahides .com or .co.uk

They have a large selection of graphics to choose from and they do custom ones as well.

You may want to be wary.
My LDS tells me that tanks with altered finishes will fail VIP.
Don't know for sure, But I quit looking at that point.
He is MY LDS.

The "Scuba hides" are routinely scraped off during VIP.
I've seen extra fees displayed for the removal of excess stickers and such during VIP's.

I have heard that Powder coating a tank is a sure way
to up the weight in your scrap metal pile.

I have seen plenty of dive shops paint tanks so I would not be too concerned about the VIP issue. That being said I am certain what Brewone0to raised as a concern is true in some interpretations.

As a more practical matter if you intend to dive with these cylinders it's a total waste of time and no good will come from it, especially if they go in salt water. I recently purchased a couple of used AL80s that were user repaints somewhere along the way. Without a doubt the most significant corrosion blemishes were UNDER the paint adjacent to the breaks in the finishes. Paint is just a place for corrosives to hide in this case.

Shot blast aluminum and hot dipped galvanized steel are timeless finishes.

Pete

It is a DOT regulation to "fail tanks that have been painted". The reason for it is the fear that the paint was baked on which would alter the chemistry of the alloy due to heat. An other DOT regulation is to "remove during VIP any foreign material that could hide corrosion". This includes ANY paint or stickers. Sorry dude.

I dive with a large group and it is easy sometimes to mistake another diver as your buddy. Most of us have put our names on our tanks. Had a few sets made up at the sign shop. If they rip them off at inspection, I just slap another one on for the season. Just another way of doing what you want but in a safe way.

Also left room for the Nitrox sticker if needed at a later date.
tank1.jpg

It is a DOT regulation to "fail tanks that have been painted". The reason for it is the fear that the paint was baked on which would alter the chemistry of the alloy due to heat. An other DOT regulation is to "remove during VIP any foreign material that could hide corrosion". This includes ANY paint or stickers. Sorry dude.

Can you provide the reference and sections of the code for your statements ?
N

I was just wondering if anyone has ever sent an airtank off that have anything airbrushed on it. I have a career as a Firefighter and I was thinking of have some firefighter theme airbrushed onto the air bottle. Just kinda thought of having an air tank thats not "ordinary". Just wanted some thoughts from other people.

Thanks,
Michael

In theory tanks that have been painted cannot be filled. Not untill they have gone through another hydrostatic inspection. The reason why is that paint can cover over corrosion.

I say "in theory" because a small painted decoration is not that same as re-painting an entire tank. I have seen the no-repaint rule enforced and yes someone thought he could hide rust on an old steel 72 with paint.

I would not bother with it. Tanks do take a beating and I doubt air brush artwork would last long.

Can you provide the reference and sections of the code for your statements ?
N

I guess I could, then again, maybe not. These rules come from the CGA pamphlets on tank inspection. I can look for them on the internet for you, but considering that our hydro facility has to buy them for, IMHO ridiculous amounts of $$$, I don't think they are published or available to the public. Of course, It would be easier If you took my word for it! Of course, I know it is not how it works around here! Let me see what I can find.

Back
Top Bottom