Fin Problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyrider003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have just bought a pair of fins, aqualung pulse. The last couple of time I dove with them my ankle really start hurting and I am wondering if you could tell me if it is because of the fins or just me. Didn't know if I may need to get another type, maybe split fins?

Thanks,
Michael

The last couple of time I dove with them my ankle really start hurting and I am wondering if you could tell me if it is because of the fins or just me.
Thanks,
Michael

Hey Michael,
I know what you talking about I was having the same problem, I started using a shorter, lighter fin it is from APS, called Mantaray. They work great in all types of water or with different equipment configurations.

It sounds like you are exerting yourself kicking those fins.. what fins did you use before the pulse? Different fins are better for different people, and in my opinion you should try renting some different types of fins, such as split fins, just to try them out to see if you like them, and if the hurt your ankles at all.

Good luck!
Comspy

I have just bought a pair of fins, aqualung pulse. The last couple of time I dove with them my ankle really start hurting and I am wondering if you could tell me if it is because of the fins or just me. Didn't know if I may need to get another type, maybe split fins?

Thanks,
Michael

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I'm going to enjoy this one...

1: Sell old fins on Ebay.
2: Buy new ScubaPro Jetfins.
3: Learn how to properly frog kick.
4: Stop kicking so much, scuba isn't a race. :wink:

It's probably just those muscles that otherwise rarely get used becoming fatigued.
1. Give it some time & see if it gets better.
2. I would stay away from splitfins, but thats just me
3. Listen to SparticleBrane's advice

easyrider003

It's probably a combination of you and the fins. If the fins are more demanding than you are conditioned guess who will be sore? You need to either hork on conditioning/technique or get some other fins.

I have a pair of big blade fins I tried one day for a simple skin-dive and I though my ledg were going to explode. I have been diving every other day with my Velocities and these beasts just loaded me up in a whole different way.

Pete

Could be fins, could be you, could be both, and it could be technique. Get in the pool and start working and getting conditioned with them. The fin should go with the type of diving you do...but I do LOVE my JETS!

Happy diving horizontal!
Carolyn:sharks:

1: Sell old fins on Ebay.
2: Buy new ScubaPro Jetfins.
3: Learn how to properly frog kick.
4: Stop kicking so much, scuba isn't a race. :wink:
My advice as well. If the pain persists, then you might look into buying one of those stretchy ankle supports. :wink:

Could be both. Some factors that could cause ankle pain: out of diving shape. over weight. Diving in conditions you are not used to like long swims, current, surf, even photo taking where you have to catch up with a group. Doing other resort related activities in addition to the diving that you aren't used to like hiking, volleyball, walking long distances in sand. Using fins too big for you. Heavy fins.
Cures: be in better shape for your diving. Swim and or snorkle regularly. Learn different finning strokes and length of strokes. Alter between those strokes during a dive to use/rest different muscles. Don't try to swim fast or hard but rather go easy but steady. Works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom