Books about diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

augk

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently read this book about some of the history of diving in Greece.
I found it interesting as it resembles some of my own family history as well.
The Bellstone
the Greek sponge divers of the Aegean
UPNE - The Bellstone: Michael N. Kalafatas

What books have you found of interest about diving, historical or otherwise.
anyone?

or current

Well, I'd better not say anything about current books about diving (ahem, kaff, kaff), but Cousteau's books The Silent World and The Living Sea are some of my historical favorites. I also finally found a copy of The Compleat Goggler (Sam, do you have a copy and, if so, where did you get it?) and it's a great read. -Clay

I just snagged a copy of "Treasure at 20 Fathoms". I had done a book report on it in the 4th grade. I had forgotten all about it until a year ago. Maybe it planted a seed?

Pete

Deep Decent, About diving the Andrea Doria. That was a good book.
The Last Dive was also good, it was about a father and son dive team that died diving on a german u boat.
And along those same lines ( controversy aside) I thought Shadow divers was a good read.
One thing I liked about all of these book, although they all have different authers, is that the storys overlap. These book deal, at times, with some of the same events, and I like reading some different points of view.

Right now I am reading The Deep with is about 30 short storys about diving and some other underwater events. So far it interesting. The best thing it that if what your reading dosen't interest you can just skip ahead to the next story.

...I also finally found a copy of The Compleat Goggler (Sam, do you have a copy and, if so, where did you get it?) and it's a great read. -Clay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Clay,

re; Compleat Goggler

I have three copies, 2 enscribed by Hans Hass on the page he was mentioned "The blonde haired Australian." I have had the two them for years, possibly since they were reprinted Chuck Blakeslee at SDM.

My daughter was in a book store in Brisbane and asked about dive books--they had a few encluding a mint CG for I recall about $10.00 Yankee dollars.

I also have one of the few complete sets of SDMs. You may or may not know but it was also reprinted in total in SDM in 1957--good gosh 51 years ago!

So the story of the Complete Goggler..Yes they are rare and pricey.

I did some research on the life of Guy Gilpatric for a possible article in HDS.. said heck with it. But did visit his home and the very hall where he ended his life. Have a huge file that I will use some day..

Am a very active diving bibliophile. Organized and presened the very first US diving bibiliophile meeting here in my home as I recall 15 years ago...

Cheers from a windy and wet hill in Cal,

sdm

Well thank you all, I have found some of the books you mentioned on amazon already and have added some of them to my wish list.

Diving Physiology in Plain English
Diving Science
Basic Decompression Theory and Application
Technical Diving in Depth
NOAA Diving Manual

All available on Amazon. Granted, the last three aren't light reading (first one is the most entertaining text I've read, Dr. Bookspan is great), but all of the above are great for learning theory and deepening (pardon the pun) one's knowledge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom