Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books about diving

Registered

Sponge Diver

Photos

Books about diving

I recently read this book about some of the history of diving in Greece.
    I found it interesting as it resembles some of my own family history as well.
    The Bellstone
    the Greek sponge divers of the Aegean
    UPNE - The Bellstone: Michael N. Kalafatas

What books have you found of interest about diving, historical or otherwise.
    anyone?
    Last edited by augk; January 4th, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
    “A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
    Dives
    None - Not Certified
    diving historical --It is assumed you mean historical diving?

Compleat goggler
    Stars beneath the sea
    Danger is my business
    Scuba America
    I thought I saw Atlantis

etc

Registered

Sponge Diver

Photos
    or current
    “A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Well, I'd better not say anything about current books about diving (ahem, kaff, kaff), but Cousteau's books The Silent World and The Living Sea are some of my historical favorites. I also finally found a copy of The Compleat Goggler (Sam, do you have a copy and, if so, where did you get it?) and it's a great read. -Clay
    louisianadiver
    Author, The Certified Diver's Handbook
    http://claycoleman.tripod.com
    http://www.uwphotochat.com

Dive Bum Wannabe

is Ready to Dive

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    I just snagged a copy of "Treasure at 20 Fathoms". I had done a book report on it in the 4th grade. I had forgotten all about it until a year ago. Maybe it planted a seed?

Pete
    My ever growing collection of assorted ramblings on scuba topics can be read here.

No sequence of classes will make a good diver out of you, if you aren't actively diving and practicing in the meantime.
    TSandM

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Deep Decent, About diving the Andrea Doria. That was a good book.
    The Last Dive was also good, it was about a father and son dive team that died diving on a german u boat.
    And along those same lines ( controversy aside) I thought Shadow divers was a good read.
    One thing I liked about all of these book, although they all have different authers, is that the storys overlap. These book deal, at times, with some of the same events, and I like reading some different points of view.

Right now I am reading The Deep with is about 30 short storys about diving and some other underwater events. So far it interesting. The best thing it that if what your reading dosen't interest you can just skip ahead to the next story.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
    Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Quote Originally Posted by louisianadiver View Post
    ...I also finally found a copy of The Compleat Goggler (Sam, do you have a copy and, if so, where did you get it?) and it's a great read. -Clay
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Clay,

re; Compleat Goggler

I have three copies, 2 enscribed by Hans Hass on the page he was mentioned "The blonde haired Australian." I have had the two them for years, possibly since they were reprinted Chuck Blakeslee at SDM.

My daughter was in a book store in Brisbane and asked about dive books--they had a few encluding a mint CG for I recall about $10.00 Yankee dollars.

I also have one of the few complete sets of SDMs. You may or may not know but it was also reprinted in total in SDM in 1957--good gosh 51 years ago!

So the story of the Complete Goggler..Yes they are rare and pricey.

I did some research on the life of Guy Gilpatric for a possible article in HDS.. said heck with it. But did visit his home and the very hall where he ended his life. Have a huge file that I will use some day..

Am a very active diving bibliophile. Organized and presened the very first US diving bibiliophile meeting here in my home as I recall 15 years ago...

Cheers from a windy and wet hill in Cal,

sdm

Instructor Trainer

Live Free, or Dive

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    "I thought I saw Atlantis" by Al Tillman. Gives a peek into the early days of diving by one of the pioneers who was there. My newest one is "2008 Diving Almanac & Yearbook" by Jeffrey Galant. I find it a very good referance on diving.

Registered

Sponge Diver

Photos
    Well thank you all, I have found some of the books you mentioned on amazon already and have added some of them to my wish list.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Diving Physiology in Plain English
    Diving Science
    Basic Decompression Theory and Application
    Technical Diving in Depth
    NOAA Diving Manual

All available on Amazon. Granted, the last three aren't light reading (first one is the most entertaining text I've read, Dr. Bookspan is great), but all of the above are great for learning theory and deepening (pardon the pun) one's knowledge.
    And the moral of the story is ... beware of scuba divers wearing only one shoe.
    -NWGratefulDiver

Instead of spending all this time trying to solve a non existing problem, why not work at being smarter divers, don't do stupid stuff at the lakes and the boats will have a much harder time hitting you. (AZTEK DIVER)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast