Information for buying a lake dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tanstaafl

Reaction score
I am getting in the market for a new boat. Our local lakes are within an hours drive and my F-250 will pull whatever I put behind it (within reason). We have an old family ski boat that I have been using, however it started sinking on the last trip out.

Information to consider:
1. Travel distance over water approx. 5-15 miles
2. Room for 4-5 divers and equipment prefered.
3. Resonable access into/out of the boat required. (the old ski boat was a pain in the ***.
4. Fiberglass hulls are a pain when parking on rocky shores.

When we first started talking about this, my first thought was to get a party barge and be done with it. Since then several people have told me they sit two high in the water for good access. I might be able to overcome this problem by fabricating a rear or side deck. If there are better options I'd like to look at them.

:doctor:

Anyway, I would like to know what ya'll are using and the likes,dislikes, things you have to have and stuff to avoid.

I have been diving some lakes in PA and Ohio. A larger pontoon in the 26-30 ft range will support 4-6 recreational divers, 2-3 technical divers with doubles and stages. Pontoons have large amount of deck space and very stable on the water. A good ladder can be put on the bow or side. I prefer the pontoons for smal groups vs. fiberglass runnabouts. Good luck....you know your buying a hole in the water where you pour money( just kidding):)

We dive from my buddies pontoon boat that we found all but destroyed but the pontoons and engine were in good shape. We replaced the decking and marine carpet($400.00) and custom built the interior ourselves and then had someone else do the upholestry($1100.00), we then tuned up the motor, put in a couple of new gauges and bottom sounder and most importantly a very cool ladder that reaches into the water about 3ft but slides up under the deck when not in use, and it can even be climbed with fins on. Tune-up,gauges,sounder,ladder($700.00).After finishing the boat we sandblasted and painted the trailer and replaced the wheel bearings and tires all for about($400.00) and we now have a great dive boat for about $5000.00 total including the original purchase price. We saved a lot of $$$ over a new boat, and spent the big$$$$ on the Hotrod boat.

Thanks for the help guys.

JT2 if you have any pictures, I'd love to see them. I'd really like to see how you set up your ladder arangement. We have a bay cleared out in our shop after a Camaro restoration project I was going to do fell apart (could not get clear title to the car). Heck, if you don't, I'll come down some weekend and check it out in person. Texas is just next door to home.

Hey Tanstaafl, I will see if I can take some pictures for you, and you are more than welcome to come down and check it out, heck I'll even take you diving if you want to. I know where a couple of big pontoon boats are that have good pontoons and good engines, and all they need is a little TLC.

hey tanstaafl!
I am in paragould arkansas, have a big pontoon boat on lake norfork and room for one more, I am sure if you want a pontoon boat i can find ya one no prob!!!

IMO a pontoon boat is the number one dive vehicle for lake diving.
All my life I have had an interest in aquatic life. I have always had aquariums, and since I was a little kid went fishing with my dad.
Here in East Tennessee, we have 8 lakes within an hours drive, and countless rivers and streams.
Since most fishing type boats have two-stroke outboard motors, with a little maintenance the engines last way longer than the boats. Lots of times you can find pontoon boats with a good engine, pontoons, and frame, and just need to replace the plywood, carpeting, and seats.
For a diving boat for a small group of people I would find one in the 20 plus foot range, hopefully more that 25 feet, and set aside about a third of it for an enclosed area. Instead of using upholstered seats, I would find a more durable alternative, as often the upholstered seats often don't last as long, especially with all the drenched divers sitting on them.
Depending on how far you wanted to go with it, you could put a table in the enclosed area to sit around in the shade during your SI, or even put in an icebox.
As with anything, you can take it as far as you want!

Personally, right now I have a bayliner cabin cruiser that I dive from, but it is not any good for more than one or two other divers, and the upkeep is much higher that it would be with a pontoon boat. Either way, boat diving rules!

This the way to go. Get a cradle trailer (pontoons sit in their own cradles) to tow it with.. The cradle is more stable than the scissor trailer. I have a 25 ' pontoon and have had 8 divers with full gear and extra tanks on it. It can double as a ski boat if you get a large enough motor. I have a OMC 90 horse (would love to afford a 4 stroke)....I can take a smaller person skiing on this setup. It is nice to have lots of room to setup. the boat also works well for just a family cruise. Stable in most lake conditions, virtually ubsinkable (although I have seen one sunk, with the tubes intact)..

Great setup, can run in reasonably shallow water also.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom