How much extra would you pay to rent a 100cf tank vs an 80cf tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

under water

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am asking this just to get a reality check. Wife & I are going to Grand Cayman for a week in April. Signed up for an accomodation/dive package including shore dives (not cheap). Noticed that the operator provided 100CF tanks.. nice... I won't have to cut the dive short for the others.. I'm still a bit of an air hog. Grand Caymans has some pretty deep dives (100fw+) compared to what I'm used to, so I expect to use it up pretty fast on that first wall dive of the day.
I find out when I sign up that they charge $15 extra per dive for the 100CF tanks even though I have a package and 80cf tanks included.
This seems a bit unreasonable to me. Is this common practice?
I have been spoiled by the free Nitrox at Bonaire so maybe my expectations are too high.

Would appreciate some sense of whether this is within reason or not.
Thanks!

In my experience it is common practice.

In Cozumel I pay $5.00/tank more for 100's vs 80's.

I am asking this just to get a reality check. Wife & I are going to Grand Cayman for a week in April. Signed up for an accomodation/dive package including shore dives (not cheap). Noticed that the operator provided 100CF tanks.. nice... I won't have to cut the dive short for the others.. I'm still a bit of an air hog. Grand Caymans has some pretty deep dives (100fw+) compared to what I'm used to, so I expect to use it up pretty fast on that first wall dive of the day.
I find out when I sign up that they charge $15 extra per dive for the 100CF tanks even though I have a package and 80cf tanks included.
This seems a bit unreasonable to me. Is this common practice?
I have been spoiled by the free Nitrox at Bonaire so maybe my expectations are too high.

Will they kiss you after every dive or is it just a good night handshake.

Sounds very high to me, but I've never been to the Caymans. I didn't pay any extra for 100's in Cozumel but then again I didn't find the free Nitrox in Bonaire either. Maybe I was just too honest and admitted I took the EANx tanks.

In Maui I am doing two dives and neither op charges more

Are the 100's steel or aluminum? Steel 100's require a crapload more maintenance than do aluminum 100's, not ongoing, but at hydro time. Steels also cost a crapload more initially to purchase. If they are providing aluminum 100's, they don't cost much more or require much more maintenance on their 5 year cycle, I don't see why they would charge that much more.

Frank

15$ per tank sounds high to me. 15$ to upgrade to 100's, sure. 15$ a day isn't really that unreasonable either, to be sure you get them. But a tank seems high to me.

Where I have been they were offered free, but limited in number so it was 1st come 1st serve. I am sure the heavy breathers (they sound sexier that way huh?) would have payed to be guaranteed a bigger tank.

I would think that if you can afford the dive trip to the Grand Caymans, you are nit-picking about the $15 charge. As opposed to what? Five dollars?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom