A little input please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MCL00

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking to open up my own business. I have tried many options for company names but everything I come up with is taken or has something real similar. Can anyone give me some suggestions for a company name and/or logo???

Any input would help a lot.

P.S. Anything with sharks would really be great!! But it doesnt have to have them,

Thanx

HI Bigmike00:
You didn't say what type of business it is you're opening.
We'll look for your response in the non diving forum, where I will move this .. unless it's a dive operation.

:sunny:

This is a diving operation...Sorry

Bigmike00 once bubbled...
This is a diving operation...Sorry
'
We need a bit more to go one here. Charter company? Dive shop? Training facility?

Did you consider consulting a marketing company?

It will be a retail dive facility offering instruction, sales, support and maintenance.

Naming a business is a tough thing to do. It's got to be something that's going to stick in someones head. When I openned my business five years ago I thought long and hard about the name.
I used the cities nickname and joined it together with the type of business so people would know what it was. The nick name was something that not too many know about so it peaks thier curiosity. Thats why it effective.
In what city is your business located? Are you on the shoreline or are you in town? Anything unusal about the area? Any prominent geological features close by or better yet in the diving area?

Jim

Sharks Bite

Dorsal Fin Diving

Chummin the Water (okay so that one really sucks, even worse than the others)

Sharks Locker

hehe Recreational Feeding Freenzy

Underwater Culture

A Life of Dive

Divers life

Well no one ever said I should be in marketing.....

I've never understood why people choose quirky or obscure names for new retail businesses. Your ad budget is always going to be small, so the name of your store should tell people what it is you do. That way the sign on the store is a permanent ad that passersby will notice, and more importantly, understand immediately. Even if they aren't going into your store today, they will remember your store when the day comes that they want what you're selling.

For example, there's a store near me called Thursday Afternoon. Now what the heck do they sell in there? I sure can't tell from the name. Unless I go in there, or talk to someone who knows, or happen to see one of their ads, I'll never know. I think it's a bad name. Quirky names only work if they are backed up by a big advertising budget to build up public awareness.

I doubt that you will have lots of extra cash to spend on advertising. Most dive shops run on pretty thin margins. So if I were you, I would stay away from cute or quirky names, and go instead with something brutally obvious. How about "Big Mike's Dive Shop" or "(Your Town) Scuba Diving" or something along those lines? At least include Dive or Diving or Scuba in the name. Yes, it's boring. But boring works. Some guy who's never been diving in his life will be driving down the street and see the sign on your store, and remember it later when he suddenly decides to get certified. Your shop name just brought in a new customer. On the other hand, once your business reputation is established, your regular customers will keep coming back because they like your shop, not because they think the name is cool.

WJL once bubbled...
How about "Big Mike's Dive Shop" or "(Your Town) Scuba Diving" or something along those lines? At least include Dive or Diving or Scuba in the name.

I agree with WJL, straight forward and simple is easy to remember, whether you are a new customer or not. Examples of some of our shops for instance....
Diver's Den is easier to remember and I know exactly what it is. Oceanic Ventures could be a drilling company for all I know. Sea Sports Scuba and Houston Scuba Academy is short and sweet and to the point. Odysea Water Sports could just as well be a surfing or waterskiing shop.

Alot of shop names evolve into something else anyway. You may name it Your Town Scuba Diving but it could come to be called Big Mike's anyway among divers. Here, Oceanic Ventures is known as Ann's Shop because no one can remember the shops name.

See what we mean? Let your name do your advertising for you. If you have to answer "What do you sell/do?" you're name is all wrong.

Of course if you want an attention getter you could always try" ICE COLD BEER & SCUBA"
Just a deranged thought.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom