Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Refresher training.....costs?

Registered

Is only here for the
    classifieds.

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos

Refresher training.....costs?

If someone is PADI OW certified but it's been a long time, what the going rate/average cost for them to get some refresher training? I know it's going to vary place to place, hence "average." Thanks.

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    $25 to $150. My guess is average of $100. You can do it with any agencies - SSI, PADI, etc.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    The shop I teach for in South Jersey charges $50.
    I Dive, Therefore I.

Most dive shops are self serving and worthless.

Registered

Is only here for the
    classifieds.

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Thanks!!! Follow up question....how much time is required? Confined, open water? Again, I know this too may vary a bit, though.

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Basically, you study on your own. Padi has a refresher course book. I took SSI. They gave me a copy of the OW test, the same one that the OW students take. I took the test (open book at home). Met with the instructor (a divecon - or DM/assistant instructor), and went over the answers. Drove to the pool, geared up, and went throught a limitted check list of skills to be performed. PADI encourages that one administer an exam, but it is not required.

If you took PADI, the skills covered will be part of the PADI's 20 skils check list, it would be the same, minus 6. Actually, it is skills 1 through 14. So it could be done in about 20 minutes if only 1 or 2 students in the class. I imagine it could be stretched longer.... But again, the focus is on the essential skills - mask clearing, reg recovery, reg/snorkel exchange. None of the stuff like removal of gear above/below water, no weight belt removal, no cesa, no fin pivot, no reg free flow, etc... I could look up PADI's minimal skill required if you like.. I have a check list with it from my DM course.

Just enough to get you comfortable back in the water again.
    Last edited by fisherdvm; March 16th, 2008 at 06:37 AM.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    Where I used to work they charged 50 bucks for a private lesson, usually about 2 hours. They also charged 100 for you to take the entire open water course over with the exception of no open water dives so that was 6 4 hour sessions.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Four hours of pool is typical. Unlimited classroom, the way we see it is your just another body in the class and dont need any specialized care as you would in the pool. Openwater dives would be at the discretion of your instructor and would most definately be at an additional fee.
    I Dive, Therefore I.

Most dive shops are self serving and worthless.

Registered

Is only here for the
    classifieds.

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Thanks all. A very good friend just told me she was PADI cert but hadn't been in years. She's between jobs so I might spring for it just to have another dive buddy.

Assistant Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    I conduct quite a few PADI Scuba Refreshers. Our shop does a Refresher Lite which is pool only-about 2 hours in the pool going over the 20 Basic Skills-all of them, not just 10. This does not result in getting a decal to put on your card to prove that you've refreshed your skills. This costs $50. To get the decal you do the pool time and also have to do some class work. You can pick up a Scuba Tune Up book, study it & answer the questions, then come to class where we go over any questions and always go over the tables even if there aren't any questions about them. This can take 20 minutes to an hour and a half depending on how much the divers remember and how many war stories everyone wants to tell. Another way to do the class work is to take the 4 OW quizzes originally done during their certification process, or they can opt to take the 50 question Final Exam from the OW course. I don't do these open book. The idea is to find out what they remember and go over anything they don't. Our shop charges $75 for this and provides all necessary equipment for the pool.
    And a Refresher can be done for any agency. Doesn't have to be with the original certifying agency. I've done Refreshers for PADI, NAUI, SSI students and others.

Hope you end up with a new dive buddy.
    WylerBear (Georgia)

Dive now, Work Later...MUCH Later

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    we charge $130. for a refresher. Most usually want to do pool time only,but I
    prefer to go over table use.Those that want the full blown refresher with acad review ,same price.If a second diver that is with the first one wishes to do review ,no charge.We figure it cost the lds about $50. an hour to do this as that covers instr. pay and pool time /gear use.Usually takes 2 to 2 1/2 hr to complete.
    Seems to be very popular at the lds I teach at now as there is often at a minimum of 2 or 3 a week going on.Having an onsite heated pool at the lds helps.