Using resuscitation mask in water

How should inwater rescue mask be used?

• With 2 hands on the mask only.

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • With one hand is adequate.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Forget the mask, and do mouth to mouth or mouth to nose.

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Just tow them to the shore, and do real CPR on dryland.

Votes: 30 55.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have observed enough people doing CPR renewal with a mask on dry land, and I would guess that about 1/3 don't get the chest rise correctly with the first try, even with 2 hands on the mask.

Now trying to do rescue breathing in water with one hand on the mask, and one hand on the head or tank valve seems ludicrous to me. And yet, we still teach it. Even with two hands on the mask, my guess is - more than 1/2 of rescue trained diver will get insufficient breath or none at all into the victim.

I would like feedback from EMT's and lifeguards on how you feel the mask should be used on real in water rescue.

My opinion is - if you don't do it regulary, don't use the mask for in water rescue. Or only use it if you are going to use 2 hands for a good seal.

If you can't do a good rescue breath, forget it and tow them to shore.

Neither an EMT nor a lifeguard, but I've seen trained RT's who can't get a good seal with a mask, when they can stand behind and over the patient and everything is optimal. I don't think much of the efficacy of in-water artificial respiration, but if you're going to try to do it, do mouth-to-mouth. You're going to be pretty safe -- the population of divers will tend to be a healthy one.

I have taught CPR for over 20 years and can share some thoughts here. Students on land have a much easier time making a good seal with the mask. With just a very small amount of practice, making a good seal is not too hard to do. Now for in the water...it takes much more practice to make a good seal, for both the pocket mask and ones mouth..both are hard to do correctly in the water.

For in-water rescue breathing I like the pocket mask for several reasons. First it helps keep water out of the victim's airway. Second, if there is more then one rescuer, others can help create a good seal by helping to hold the mask to the face. Using traditional mouth-to-mouth, there is nothing anyone can do to help, and it may not even be possible to make a seal.

With just a very small amount of practice, making a good seal is not too hard to do. Now for in the water...it takes much more practice to make a good seal, for both the pocket mask and ones mouth..both are hard to do correctly in the water.

I think that is the key point - needing practice. I find that rescue scenarios are done with real people in the water, and you don't get to actually see the chest rise. We go through the motion, but actually don't see the result

Do they make ANNIES that float on water for lifeguard training?

How effective are rescue breaths alone, even on dry land?

How effective are rescue breaths alone, even on dry land?

I am with you on this one. Rescue breaths might be worthless, and even harmful (we need to let the dust settle on this one) when the victim had a myocardial infarction.

Rescue breaths might be helpful, if done right, on a victim of drowning who did not have an MI though.

I have heard that rescue breathing may actually be on the way out altogether.

I understand that an experimental protocol in one metro area EMS has tried continuous fast compressions (100+ per minute) with no breathing, and patient survival rate increased. The thought here is that the chest compressions are also causing a bellows effect on the lungs resulting in adequate air exchange.

This might be an unfounded rumor, anyone else hear anything along this line.

I have heard that rescue breathing may actually be on the way out altogether.

I understand that an experimental protocol in one metro area EMS has tried continuous fast compressions (100+ per minute) with no breathing, and patient survival rate increased. The thought here is that the chest compressions are also causing a bellows effect on the lungs resulting in adequate air exchange.

This might be an unfounded rumor, anyone else hear anything along this line.

This is what we are moving to.

As far as the poll, work on getting them out of the water and onto something solid like the shore or a vessel. CPR in the water is not a good thing to be doing.

Gary D.

Honestly, every situation is different, for most non professional rescuers, the best plan is probably just concentrate on getting them out of the water as fast as possible. In answer to the question though, use 2 hands on the mask, using the "C/E" grip. Work from over the top of the head. The victem can be easily towed from this position. What tends to be difficult for many people is deploying the pocket mask with one hand while holding the victem with the other. One advantage of the mask, is protection of the airway. A wave can wash over the victems face and if the mask is held in place no water will enter the airway. This in itself can improve the chance of revival (which will still be very low).

May you never have to use this skill. Safe dives.
trtldvr
Florida Keys Safe Diving Initiative

Back
Top Bottom