How many calories does diving burn?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering, along with a lot of other people in our boat today...

Does anyone know how many calories, on average, diving burns? Obviously it varies from diver to diver and per environment but someone had to done some research on this?

Anyone have a ball park number per amount of time and temp?

Not enough, not enough.

Of course one cannot determine a set amount of calories that would apply to all divers (physical condition, gender, activity level underwater, etc.) and all environments (ice diving, dry/wet suit, tropical).

Not enough, not enough.

Of course one cannot determine a set amount of calories that would apply to all divers (physical condition, gender, activity level underwater, etc.) and all environments (ice diving, dry/wet suit, tropical).

True, but much like running, there must be some chart or rough average number.

If you are a good diver, not many dives are strenuous. You burn calories sitting on the couch or sleeping. Especially boat diving, you should hit the gym or the treadmil before you reward yourself with ice cream (after a suitable SI).

Couldn't give you a number, but when I was on a 4-day, 14 dive liveaboard I lost some weight even though I ate like a pig, so I guess it burns some.

Anecdotally one dive will not offset going out for a good feed afterwards. If were managing to make 2 tank outings then the scale starts to do favorable things. I have learned to watch for this in the fall when we drop back to 1 tank days.

The temperature is only meaningful when the effectiveness of exposure protection is factored in.

I agree the at done right the actual dive is not a big calorie burner.

Keeping busy with the prep and cleanup helps. Also making the time to dive is a distraction as I run a round getting the "gotta dos" done.

Pete

True, but much like running, there must be some chart or rough average number.

As I understand, most running chart has weight and speed as the variables.

I don't see folks doing laps while scuba diving. You puts around, puddle around, muck around, occasionally sprint a short distance.... How the heck are you going to quantitate that?

Next, you add thermal protection, the kid who is shivering so you can hear his teeth chatter underwater, is going to burn more calorie than the overweight guy with his 7 mm.

Next, you add current.

So, you can see, you have the old guys like Thalassamania, who is finning along like a man pushing a walker.... to the young ones trying to impress his buddy by his torpedo speed (until he burned through his tank in 10 minutes).... You just can't quantitate such thing.

I agree with Halemano, scuba diving to me is more like a casual stroll down the park. Rarely do you kick it in high gear, and even then, it is only a short distance. Most folks don't even reach aerobic level, except if you did a shore dive and have to take the gears back up the hill to get back to the parking lot.

8 per minute sounds plausible. I recall in my second pool session thinking that I must be burning 4 times as many calories putting the full wetsuit on than as I was actually diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom