What is Advanced Open Water Diver???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

www.padi.com lists the objectives of the AOW class. The purpose is to expose the student to different types of dives (night, deep, nav, etc) with the guidance of an instructor.

*Some* resorts/dive operations require an advanced card for certain types of dives. It does NOT indicate the diver has advanced capabilities or experience.

MD

Not much, 5 more dives, very little additional training.

Assuming each has only dived in their class, the OW diver will have 4 dives, none of them exceeding 60 ft.

The AOW diver will have 9 dives (5 in addition to the 4 from OW), one of which will have been between 60 and 100 ft, one of which will be a navigation dive. the other 3 additional dives come off a list of 14 others.

Keep in mind, some people go directly from OW to AOW, while others dive many years and never take AOW. It is common to find OW divers with more skills and experience than AOW divers.

You can do them all together. So if you are going to do nitrox you can do them when you do your AOW.

I agree with Walter..

Ontario Diver once bubbled...

It should really be called Open Water Part II.

LOL - I was going to answer - "There is no difference. Oh, wait, maybe AOW is cheaper :D "

Actually, they should have kept the Advanced Plus and eliminated the AOW. Advanced Plus was a pretty good class. AOW is pretty much a waste of time and money. There are actually some pretty good advanced classes, but you have to search them out.

I think a properly trained student with C-Card with OW written on it should get the equivalent of a Basic Rescue Diver as a next step in the Dive Adventure PADI creates. ( :rolleyes: )...
At least you know how to handle yourself after a Rescue Diver...

that some commercial dive boat operators will require you to show an AOW card for deeper dives. Either that or your log book that shows deep diving experience. That is the only reason I did AOW after 8 years of diving.

Back
Top Bottom