DIR-F class will now be a certification class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MHK

Reaction score
As many of you may know the GUE Board of Director's has announced that the DIR-F class as of June 1 will now become a certification class. I've been asked by several to comment on some of the issues surrounding the change. Below in the cave section I posted the following, but I suspect other's have some of the same concerns, so please let me know if this clears up some of the issues, but if not let me know and I'll see if I can help.

DIR-F class

Let me see if I can clear up some of the misunderstandings, but also bear in mind a few issues are still unsettled. When the final issues are settled the GUE Board of Director's will release a complete analysis.

However that being said, you are correct beginning in June the DIR-F class will become a formalized class, with the requisite requirements associated with it. The GUE BOD felt that given the success and explosion of growth associated with the DIR-F class that many divers were primarily associating GUE with the DIR-F class. So the concern was that when the DIR-F class started it was more of a seminar. As it evolved, changed and grew it started to resemble more of a class in nature so in an effort to maintain high standards the BOD felt that given that everyone was seeing it as a class, it was starting to resemble a class that it was the appropriate time to take the formal steps to standardize the curriculum, put in some performance based criteria and the like. Still left unanswered is how to treat someone who previously took the class, and the resulting effect that will have on utilizing that experience towards the new pre-requisite that the DIR-F class will be required for higher level training.

Again to reiterate, the GUE BOD is still analyzing the issue so NOTHING has been decided. I suspect, that if you have previously taken the class, and your instructor is confident of your abilities, he can recommend you for upper level classes. Given the nature of scuba forum communications it is very, very important to emphasis that this is not final so GUE must reserve the right to a different end result after hearing concerns from all the BOD members.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that GUE represents a vision that we are trying to stay true to. The vision, of course, is in part about diving education but it's also about ecological studies, scientific research, preserving the environment and so on. The BOD felt strongly that the DIR-F seminar was overshadowing our efforts in other areas, and they also felt that part of the core belief of GUE is that we want to remain an elite training organization that is inclusive only to those diver's that are committed to core principle's of DIR and issues surrounding making the seminar to inclusive consistently surrounded the program. Issues such as allowing smoker's or unfit diver's or diver's with more relaxed gear choices began to compromise what GUE stood for, so the BOD felt that even though the class wasn't a certification class, that all too many didn't necessarily recognize the distinction so in an effort to preserve the integrity of GUE training they decided that the time was appropriate.

I'll also note that as Mike pointed out, there were internal conflicts about the decision, and of course as any organization grows that is to be expected. In fact, JJ and I discussed that very issue and while he supported a healthy exchange of views, the issue was put to a vote of the BOD and the results are manifest.

I'm sure you'll have questions so let me know if I can help, but also as I noted the BOD will make future announcements shortly.

Thanks

Michael Kane

I am signed up (deposit paid) for a cave 1 class in July. I took DIRF with you and JJ last July in NC. What do I need to do so I don't get the boot before my cave class (Tyler Moon is the instructor)?

Thanks, MHK

So I actually have to worry about pass or fail now when you come visit in June. :D

Mike,

Can you comment on any new equipment requirements that may have been changed?

So, if this is a go, what about the classes held between now & then. If one takes the class, will it have to be reataken to get the card.

There's one scheduled reasonably local in April. Would it be better to wait for the dust to settle and go from there?

Does that now mean that everyone who takes the course finds out how poor their skills are in relation to the bar will now have to retake the class until they hit a specific level of skill or will it just be a "certification" that you have indeed completed the course.

Now I'm starting to sweat...

Mike,

I'm alos interested in hearing more about whether the gear requiremnents will be changing for DIRF. For example, as of last summer, a BP/wing was not required....recommended, but not required.

Thanks.

-Chris

bwerb once bubbled...
Does that now mean that everyone who takes the course finds out how poor their skills are in relation to the bar will now have to retake the class until they hit a specific level of skill or will it just be a "certification" that you have indeed completed the course.

Now I'm starting to sweat...
That is the line of thinking I find myself going down... There is no way in hell I could have passed my DIRF. I practiced before the class and took it with 3 of my regular dive buddies. We all saw the FifthD videos, etc. and we practiced A LOT at the quarries around VA and NC for the class. I was of the opinion that my skills were pretty top notch before the class.

Then I had me a helping of humble pie. MHK, JJ, and Sweetin made me look stupid in the water. Even the simplest things Sweetin wanted me to do I couldn't do...and I thought I was pretty squared away coming into the thing.

I just don't see how this is going to work with the current format of the class. You guys showed me the bar, that's for sure...but I needed a damn telescope to see it since I realized it was so far above me. The effects of my humbling only served to focus me on perfecting me what I had been shown. So, I did what my other dive buddies did...we hit the quarries again and for the rest of the season we worked our asses off on those skills.

The class worked for me and I haven't heard from anyone that has taken it that wasn't awed and convinced to become a better diver or hang it up. The current format is great...you go in, learn what you don't know or haven't been taught, then you go bust your butt in the quarry/lake/pool/ocean for weeks until you finally "get it". How are you guys going to introduce these skills to people that have never seen them and don't know what they don't know and expect them to be able to perform them proficiently by the end of a weekend? God knows I couldn't have done it..

Unless....unless the class takes on the Cave/Tech format and you go in with the expectation that you might not pass and can come back and get checked out or repeat the class when you think you are proficient enough to perform to the requirements for certification. The only problem here is that the classes aren't local to a lot of people and that would introduce a lot of cost issues. People who are into the tech/cave realm are generally more committed and willing to spend that kind of time and money to travel to recertify/test than the average DIRF student (IMHO). Unless...unless increased numbers is not what GUE is after and the target has narrowed and GUE doesn't want a lot of people walking around with GUE cards (as would be indicated, IMHO, by a lot of the recent traffic over on quest).

Sorry for rambling...

O-ring once bubbled...
How are you guys going to introduce these skills to people that have never seen them and don't know what they don't know and expect them to be able to perform them proficiently by the end of a weekend? God knows I couldn't have done it..

Nobody can. I think that's the point. Now everyone has to take the class 2 or 3 times. Drink enough kool aid and you'll go for it :)

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom