Alpha "Dive" Flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterskier1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I am looking to start diving off my boat. I have done some research and know that I need a "rigid replica of the international Code flag "A" not less than 1 meter in height.

I have searched all around, and I can't find anyone who sells a flag that big. Nor can I find one which is rigid. What are those of you who are restricted in ability to maneuver and/or are engaged in diving operations (USCG Nav Rule #27) use? This is also required in most states for boats restricted in ability to maneuver or engaged in diving operations. I think most states simply copied the Federal Nav Rules.

It is a simple enough flag to make. Less than a yard of white and blue rip stock will do the job, but I'm curious what all the boat operators and skippers out there are doing to comply. The liveaboard I was on in the Bahamas had rigid dive and Alpha "flags" flying, but I don't believe either was 1 meter or more in height. But, on a big boat, up 30+ feet, I may not have judged size correctly due to perspective.

I'm mostly concerned because if something should happen, and it went to court, and the flag was not as required, I could be found contributory to the problem. I thought buying the proper size would be the easiest way to comply.

Here is an Article on the Dive Flag question:

Differences between ICS Alfa and Diver Down

Two flags are mandated for display in (at least) most parts of the United States and Canada when a boat or ship has divers in the water. Considerable confusion exists as to the differences between these two flags, if any, and why a dive boat has to use two separate signals. In fact, the two flags serve quite different purposes.

The 1972 International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, as well as national legal instruments, such as the United States Inland Navigation Rules, provide for an elaborate series of day-shapes and lights to be displayed by large vessels whose maneuverability is restricted by the conduct of underwater operations, such as cable-laying, dredging, or conducting diving operations. Smaller vessels that are not able to hoist the complex signals used by large ships are instead required to display a rigid version of the International Code of Signals flag for the letter "A", known as ALFA, at least one meter high if diving operations restrict their ability to maneuver. Not all boats from which divers are swimming are necessarily so restricted. Generally, only vessels to which the divers are physically connected by communication lines, air hoses, or the like are affected by this requirement. It does not apply to most instances of sport diving, where the divers are swimming free of the vessel. As recent U.S. Coast Guard Notices to Mariners emphasize:

The ALFA flag is a navigational signal intended to protect the vessel from collision.

The use of the diver down flag is required by state law or regulation in virtually every state of the U.S., as well as by various U.S. Federal agencies exercising jurisdiction over waters where diving takes place (such as the U.S. National Park Service), by the Canadian Occupational Safety and Health Regulation and in many other countries. Typically, the laws or regulations on the use of this flag require divers to display the flag and to remain within a specified distance of it when they are near the surface. This often means the flag is best mounted on a float or buoy near the actual dive point rather than on the boat itself. Restrictions vary from state to state, but typically include a zone around the flag where no other boats are allowed and a second, larger zone in which their speed is limited. A number of states also prohibit the display of the diver-down flag when a diver is not actually in the water.

Joe McMillan, 17 Jun 2005

FWIW I when I dive from my boat I display both an Alpha flag (somewhat less than the specified size) and a Diver Down flag. Can't hurt.

And here is a site on flags.Alpha Dive Flag
The RED&WHITE flag divers use is NOT a real flag,we just made it up(divers that is)
The alpha flag on it's own means "diver down"
Must also be acompanied with other signals, depending if the vessal can move or not.

Ummm, thanks for all the info on what flags mean. I know that all too well. My question isn't "what do the flags mean" or "when do I fly them". It asks how are those of you who are complying with the USCG (Inland and International) Rules #27 doing so? Indeed, my vessel will be limited in it's ability to maneuver since I, the skipper, will be under it diving. Likely no one else will be on board.

My question has to do with the lack of sources of the rigid Alpha Flag over 1 meter in height - or my lack of ability to find any online. I did get one response from someone who will custom make one. Is that what the rest of you are having to do?

Or, maybe most of you leave someone aboard to maneuver out of the way of other vessels?

I've got some from a boating shop.Just put a horizontal(pvc)pole on top and your flag will be vizable.

Ummm, thanks for all the info on what flags mean. I know that all too well. My question isn't "what do the flags mean" or "when do I fly them". It asks how are those of you who are complying with the USCG (Inland and International) Rules #27 doing so? Indeed, my vessel will be limited in it's ability to maneuver since I, the skipper, will be under it diving. Likely no one else will be on board.

My question has to do with the lack of sources of the rigid Alpha Flag over 1 meter in height - or my lack of ability to find any online. I did get one response from someone who will custom make one. Is that what the rest of you are having to do?

Or, maybe most of you leave someone aboard to maneuver out of the way of other vessels?

I would think you would want to revisit the idea of not leaving someone on board the boat. There have been several instances reported where the boat has drifted away and the divers were left stranded. Also, the person on the boat is an important link in the safety chain. He/she should now how to operate the boat and how to use the marine radio to get help in case of an emergency.

You could probably rotate which person stays of the boat so everyone gets to dive.

I truly appreciate your concern and all this will be weighed before each dive. Most of this will be on inland lakes where drifting, if it should occur will be noticed and not far. Even if there is someone on board ready to operate the boat, I don't want the hassle of them having to fire up the boat, pull anchor, and maneuver out of the way of a sail boat or some other give-way vessel if we are not considered restricted in ability to maneuver. Pulling anchor and moving away from the dive site for that reason, especially if you are not sure when the divers might be surfacing, is not wise. And to do it simply so you don't have the fly the Alpha flag is foolish, IMHO.

I thought the flag had to be one meter above the top of the boat. Not that the flag had to be one meter tall.

The rule says: (ii) A rigid replica of the international Code flag “A” not less than 1 meter in height. Measures shall be taken to insure its all-round visibility.

I read this to be the flag has to be not less than 1 meter in height, not that the flag must be flown 1 meter above the top of the boat. :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom