DIR in Arizona?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Space

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm new to diving and would like to learn and practice the DIR methods. If anyone wants to teach or mentor please let me know. Thanks to AzAtty for hopefully getting together so I can try the BP/wing. I'm in no hurry to get into tech diving but feel they will make rec diving safer and more enjoyable. With the advise from Uncle Pug I watch the vids from the GUE site and only hope that some day I will be half as good as those guys. The control is amazing.

I was corresponding with Michael about DIR-F in California a couple months ago. I still owe him some dates (sorry, MHK, my schedule has be rollercoastering). However, when I learned that there are several Arizona folks on the board, I hatched the idea of a DIR-F in Arizona. And now Brandon is beating me to the punch after I mentioned it to him. :)

There are some logistics involved with hosting a DIR-F course that we Arizona folks would have to take into account such as a classroom location, pool availability and open water facilities. And, of course, the minimum numbers of participants. I have a couple of those items tied down, but I wanted to have a defined plan before taking it to the instructors.

If you want to do a DIR-F immediately in San Diego, Tamara Kendall is running the classes almost weekly. Personally, I wanted to do mine with MHK so that I could say that I had the distinction of MHK ripping on me. :)

However, if there is sufficient interest in Arizona, now is as good a time as any to find out, so post if you're interested (or PM me). The course would take place in Phoenix.

I had hopes of hosting a DIRF at one of our facilities until we got snubbed by Halcyon at DEMA this year. Now I'm not sure how we stand with regards to having the class. However, I sure would like to try to get it into our place. Soon, we should have our new facility finished that would be great to use for such an event.

SA

I to would probably be interested in a class here in the valley. As long as it's before May, when my lil daughter will be born :).

wonder what location we would use, that would have enuf viz to videotape?

Which shop are you associated with? I haven't approached any of the shops with which I do business yet about hosting a DIR-F. I'm going to start doing Tuesday morning dives with an instructor from one of the Phoenix shops and I'm planning on raising the issue in a couple weeks. He didn't freak out about my long hose, so maybe there's hope.

As for getting snubbed by Halcyon, I assume you're not a Halcyon dealer. Is that right?

As for locations, Lake Pleasant can have decent vis--up to 50 feet if you get lucky and if the algae isn't blooming. There's also a dive boat up there.

are you guys looking at the certification part of this class or wanting to have it before June?

One of the reasons I'm not ringing up the folks in LA or SD right now is because DIR-F is changing to a c-card course. That said, I'm willing to try to set up a class whenever, depending upon the consensus of the interested parties, and depending upon whether we can get the minimum number of people to show up. The minimum, as I understand it, is four people. Maximum is 6 people per instructor.

Back
Top Bottom