Underwater Walkman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey,

That desdiver mp3 player gives me an idea... Is this completely crazy or a good idea?

NOTE: I would NOT say to use this in place of written profiles on your slate, etc. but as a convenient reminder of points through the dive it might come in handy.

You could record your dive profile beforehand and hit play and just follow instructions after you leave the surface...

'play'
------------------
(track 1)
0 seconds. Begin descent.

30 seconds. Depth should be 'X' fsw/msw. switch from travel to back gas now and safety check all regulators.

1 minute. Re-commence descent.

2 minutes. Depth should not exceed 'X' fsw/msw for the next 15 minutes. Have a nice dive!.
-------------
(tracks 2-n)
it then plays some music tracks you pre-timed
-------------
(track n+1)
18 minute alert. Ascent should begin in 1 minute.

19 minutes. Begin ascent at X fpm/mpm.

X minutes and Y seconds. you should be at Z fsw/msw. Switch to 50/50 deco mix. Hold here for 1 minute after switch for first deco stop. Deploy your SMB when your gas switch is complete

First stop complete. Begin ascent to X fsw/msw for 2nd stop.

.... (and so on)

-------------

You could create various profile "sets" and simply download the profile from a laptop, etc. before each dive.

Of course, you may just find out how annoying it can be having someone bugging you all the time...

Some further ideas: edit the mp3s to all be modular lengths by adding blank space at the end of each to make them have runtimes of 1/2/3/4 minutes each. Then it's easy to drop in 5 3 minute songs or some other combination to 'fill in' 15 minutes of bottom time untill the 'ascent track' starts off with the 1 minute warning.

Makes ya think...

Hmmm....

Thats pretty kewl!!!

I have seen a bunch of these over the years. But, they have always been limited to shallow water or under 99FSW.

But, this is kewl. Now i can do a deep dive and listen to music while deco'n

dc4bs once bubbled...
You could record your dive profile beforehand and hit play and just follow instructions after you leave the surface...
Yeah, but I think I wouldn't be able to stand that... Imagine that annoying voice you hear in the trains or in the airports... :D Big Brother is watching you ! hehe

Maybe silence isn't so bad after all... :wink:

I don't know.

Part of the attraction of diving to me is the peace and quiet. No cell phones, pages, alarms ringing anywhere. Its very relaxing. I have absolutely no need for music down there.

What's next - a waterproof cell phone :rolleyes:

Darryl

dvleemin once bubbled...

What's next - a waterproof cell phone :rolleyes:

Darryl

LOL, that's what probably will happen for sure. Imagine:"hello, hunny, can you bring a nice lobster for dinner?":wink:

I suppose it might be nice on a deco stop, but one of the things I really, really like about scuba diving is the lack of sound.

It's soooo nice to have quiet every once in awhile.

Waddaya mean quiet?

Maybe with a rebreather...

I find the bubbles from the reg exhaust are quite loud as they pass by the sides of my head.

I was thinking that the music would be somewhat hard to hear clearly due to this anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom