PADI Junior Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisa mc

Reaction score
After reciently completing a open water certification and loving it I signed up for a advanced open water class with a rescue course aswell!. I told my husband who is a small boat fisherman how wonderful it was/is and turned his way of thinking round to seeing the sea bed from the bottom and not just with a rod and line. He was quite reserved about this, however once he took his first breath under water I can't get him out now.

Any way, he said now he has experienced this new world he wished that he had done it years ago ( he's 33 ). This brought up the conversation of why not give the kids a chance to try it.
They are 13, 11 and 9. The course director of the shop we use was brilliant with them, they went last night for the first time to the pool and 'tried' it. I had some reservations about them being able to do it as when both myself and my husband started we had problems with mask removal and water in the nose ( over come now :wink: ).

What were we worrying about?.

They were in the pool with us for two minutes and they were away. We never seen them for the next hour, I don't think the surfaced more than twice!!!!.

We are taking the two older girls today to sign up for their course and the little one is quite upset and angry with us because we have told him he can only snorkal untill he is 10.

I've had no peace this morning at all with 3 kids demanding to know when there going next.

This board has a LOT to answer for. If we hadn't found it we would probably have a lot more money in the bank.

Thank you's all for opening up a whole new world to us.

Sorry I forgot to mention, Will it be better to rent or buy their equipment as they are still growing all the time. I thought it may be an idea to buy their own mask and fins but not sure on the rest of the gear.

Thanks

My son just got certified this past Sept (he's only 12).. We got him his own mask, snorkel & fins. When he completed his Jr. OW certification, we let him pick out a good mask as a reward. Had the same concerns about the other gear since I know any day now he's going to be "sprouting" up!
Got him a regulator for Christmas (they'll NEVER out grow those), but decided that we'd rent the rest of the stuff until he stops growing! Unfortunately, he thinks that he should have all of the same gear that his dad & I have ( I know my LDS is probably reading this & yelling "Yeah, go for it" :D ), but their both just gonna have to wait!!

I'm a tad pressed for time, so I can't answer this question in the manner it deserves. Please do a search on this topic. There are some serious concerns about children and diving that you need to understand before giving your children lessons. I'll go into detail tonight.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to help me with my query. Its obvious that this site has a wealth of information within its members and I am extremely happy to have found it as it has / will help me out no end.

After reading the posts and information in the links supplied I have decided to enrol the kids in a snorkalling class and let them get a little older and experience through this. I'll probably get some grief of them for this as they want to dive every weekend now.

Thanks to everybody for their advice and information.

Cheers, Lisa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom