Safe to fill tank w/ CO2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dodge345

Reaction score
I need a CO2 tank to pressurize a keg system. I was wondering if I filled my scuba tank w/ CO2 would it hurt the tank in any way? Would I still be able to dive with the tank, assuming I had it refilled with air after the co2? Thanks,
Ty

Putting CO2 in a SCUBA tank is an accident waiting to happen. I now know why they put the moronic warning labels on new tanks!

This is a very bad and very dangerous idea. Just pretend you don't have a SCUBA tank and act like any non diver with a keg.

The compressed gas association uses different fittings to fill tanks with different gasses - so no one can mix air with CO2 for example. So you will need a different valve on the tank to fill with CO2. This is a legal requirement so no one makes a mistake. You'll also need to label the tank during it's use.

Finally, CO2 is acidic, so be sure to fill at a reputable location because IF the gas is moist it will very quickly destroy your tank!

hope this helps,

Dodge345 once bubbled...
I need a CO2 tank to pressurize a keg system. I was wondering if I filled my scuba tank w/ CO2 would it hurt the tank in any way? Would I still be able to dive with the tank, assuming I had it refilled with air after the co2? Thanks,
Ty
It is an unsafe practice and you will probably need to have the tank reinspected afterwards.

This must be a troll, but if it's a serious question:

I wouldn't be concerned about damage to the tank. I'd be much more concerned about the personal safety considerations of filling my tanks with CO2. Even if you empty the tanks completely, you'll still have X cubit feet/liters of 100% CO2 in your tank at 14.7 PSI. So you fill the tank with air/whatever. You still have a higher concentration of CO2 in the tank than you find in breathable air. For some odd reason, I don't like that thought. And even worse, after your bash, what happens if you forget you put CO2 in the tanks and then try to breathe it? I'm afraid that saving a couple bucks on a CO2 tank isn't worth it to me.

As a practical matter, how are you going to get the CO2 from the tank into the keg system? I've worked with industrial gas cylinders in the past, and I've never seen a connector designed for such cylinders that would fit a scuba cylinder. I sort of doubt that the keg has a DIN- or yoke-fitted hose to connect to the tank valve. I also doubt that the pressurizing hose will screw into your first stage regulator. Additionally, I doubt that the CO2 fill station would be set up to deliver CO2 to a scuba cylinder.

Oh, if I wasn't clear: DON'T DO IT.

Dodge345 once bubbled...
I need a CO2 tank to pressurize a keg system.
First... Ty.... welcome to Scuba Board.
Second... this is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.
Third... If you do this I nominate you for an honorary Darwin Award.

Dodge345 once bubbled...
Ty

Not a good idea....as a matter of fact, it is a worthless idea if you ever plan on diving with that tank, but you will however be able to use that tank for many more kegs (assuming you have an 80 cu ft. tank) than you have in the past with the smaller 'standard' CO2 tanks.

maybe he should do it, and bring it to the jelllo twister party so the rest of us can stand around laughing :D =-) :D

someone should bring a keg to the jello party, this is one hell of an idea....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom