What kinda workouts are you doing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
I'm wondering what everyone is doing for their non-diving workouts? I know that several agencies and dive groups recommend regular workouts and exercise for overall conditioning. What are you doing? Is it working? What do you want to change?

I did the "Body for Life" program a few times which is a best selling book by Bill Phillips which advocates six workouts a week. Three days cardio, three days weights. It is largely based on intervals for cardio and progressively harder sets for weights with a upper/lower body split alternating. I found it really worked well for getting going and didn't take up a huge amount of time to see great results. I'm planning on starting another cycle (12 weeks) tommorow.

Let us know how you are training for diving.

Cardio weight circuits 3x a week and general cardio (swimming, running, airdyne biking) 4x a week.

25 mins. cardio and 40 minutes weights 3X per week

1 mile walk a day and a couple of hours on the biceps

half a mile no nearest pub
couple of hours on the right arm lifting pints
half amile home:)

My usual non-diving exercise routine is that I altermate every other day with weight training for my upper body, and rowing 10km for 6 days and I rock climb on the 7th. I'm dropping one day of rowing for Capoeira starting in April.

Weight lifting, 3 times a week. I know. I've got to do more cardio... But it is so boooooooooooooring...

Arnaud once bubbled...
I know. I've got to do more cardio... But it is so boooooooooooooring...

I read this workout which is based on a training exercise done by the Japanese Olympic speedskating team. They did some serious scientific studies around it and found that it increased their cardio efficiency better than anything else which had been studied. I have tried it and it is exhausting...(I can look-up the references if anyone is interested PM me).

Here it is...14 minutes TOTAL...but you will likely want to throw-up:wink:

Five minute warm-up using ANY cardio you want (running, swimming, biking, rollerblading etc.) Start at a medium warm-up kinda pace and gradually pick it up in the last couple minutes until you are nice and warm.

Fun begins...You are going to do 100% intensity full-out sprints for 20 seconds, then stop for 10 seconds, sprint for 20, stop for 10 etc. for 4 minutes (8 cycles). You will likely be barely able to keep-up your warm-up pace for the last set.

Cooldown, five minutes of medium to slow paced activity to a stop.

I couldn't believe how hard this was the first time I tried it. To make it harder as you go on you can add more sets and/or extend it out with five minute jogs between 4 minute work sets.

I guarantee that it will give you a great cardio blast in minimum time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom