Scubaboard signal-to-noise ratio: Is it just me???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
First of all, let's understand each other...I love this little corner of cyberspace and this has been the springboard for meeting some really good people and sharing some really good experiences.

However, it seems lately that the board has gone a little crazy and the signal to noise ratio has dropped through the floor.

Between the politics and what's worse, the flirty-teasy "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" Non-Diving section (and a certain sub-section of posters who seem to follow and post in those threads ONLY), it seems like I struggle to find a concentration of threads that I want to follow.

And it seems to be annoying other people as well...someone else pointed this out and was told otherwise, but it definitely seems that some of the more senior members who are widely respected authorities don't post nearly as often.

I don't want to be the guy who says "everything was better back in the day", but lately I kind of long for those times when I would actually read the overwhelming majority of threads on a given page.

Again, not meant to start trouble...just wondering if I'm being cranky or if others felt the same way about their beloved little corner of cyberspace...

-kkm

the similar thoughts from a couple of other people. I used to read virually everything posted on the board "back in the day". Of course back then for me was when there were only about 1500 registered members and we didn't have as many sections.

Also I think part of what plays into this is that there is only so much you can discuss about diving so people are looking for other topics of discussion so they can extend their "reason" for coming to this site.

Yes; I've noticed as well. But I've also noticed that decent threads are starting to pop up again...

I figured it was just the winter lull... All the offseason questions you had have been asked, and now your just waiting to get in the water and have more scuba related questions...

You have to figure that the percentages of members currently diving is much much less than there will be in 2 or 3 months.

King Kong Matt once bubbled...

Between the politics and what's worse, the flirty-teasy "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" Non-Diving section (and a certain sub-section of posters who seem to follow and post in those threads ONLY), it seems like I struggle to find a concentration of threads that I want to follow.

I'll agree. Just in the short time I've been here, it seems the non-diving and, heaven help us; polls, outnumber the diving threads by a large margin.

Hopefully its just a phase:D

MD

I have found exactly the same thing. I can only hope that it is a seasonal thing in some parts and the lack of diving has driven people stir crazy.

Some days when I log on after work I find 10 pages of new posts and a total of 6 that are really relevent/interesting.

Here's to a return to diving and diving discussion!

Brian

I was hoping that it was seasonal also.

Unfortunately, the polls areren't seasonal:upset:

I HATE polls.....

Maybe you guys are right and its just seasonal, but it seems like its more than that...

There seem to be a certain class of people who are not here to learn, are not here to share information, are not here to get more involved in their local diving scene...they're here really just for the teenage, "my parents will be back in an hour so let's make this quick" type of socializing...

I don't think anyone should dictate what anyone else "gets" out of the board, but when I see much fewer posts from the senior members whom I respect, much fewer threads that are really educational, and much more posts and threads begging for a picture, its beyond simply "ignoring" it. And what's worse, the bigger and bigger the board gets, the more looseknit the community will be and the tougher it will be to maintain a certain standard of intelligent discourse.

I'm not so concerned with what I see now as with what the future holds for this board if it were to continue along these lines...

Again, maybe its just a seasonal thing, but I'm betting not...

MHO...your mileage may vary.

-kkm

is the new guy's who log on and proceed to give there resume (of 100 dives), then proceed to start a flame war because they got it all figured out, and everybody else has it all wrong. While the rest of us just sit back and laugh at all the nonsence because the guy has no clue. You don't engender respect and (or) credibility by screaming louder than everybody else and expecting people to listen to you when you scream. If I see a thread moving in that direction, I just tune it out and move on to something else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom