Changing log books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Space

Contributor
Reaction score
just wondering if I change log books do I need to transfer the information to the new one. The log book I have sucks so I want to buy a new one and transfer the info. But all my dives (6) have sig's from instructor and buddy. Do you guys have buddies sign your book?

I do get stamps from dive ops when available.

If you wanna keep that stuff in a new book, why not just cut out the pages and paste them into the new book? That way you will have the sigs and stuff as well. Or you could just make photocopies to put in the new book.

It is a good thing that you are starting out by keeping a thorough log-book. It is a very good habit to get into early, IMHO.

:thumb:

I don't bother with sigs anymore, nor do I transfer anything. I actually have 3 volumes of logs sitting on the shelf

when your on a dive boat and the captain wants to make sure you have the experience for the dive. Don't you need a dive log to prove it? I don't know because I've not yet been on one. All my dives have been in the local lake.

If a log is needed, it will be the dive op asking for it when the trip is set up. By the time you get on the boat, this stuff should already be ironed out. I never take my log on the boat anyway as I don't want it to get wet and ruined.

Sometimes dive ops (especially resorts) will ask to see logs to make sure that you have dived in the last year or so and sometimes if you are signing up for an "advanced" dive and you don't have an AOW c-card. Generally, it's pretty rare (in my experience) to be asked to produce a log book before diving.

Are you using the log 'books' or the individual pages that are added to binder books? Either way, just start a new one when the old one is used, starting with your next dive.

I started out with the PADI log books that held the training dives. As it got filled and I decided what information I wanted, I designed my own pages to be printed and used in a small 3-ring binder. At the start of each year, I remove last years pages and start with new pages. I have a large 4" thick binder that all the previous years pages go into.

I've only been asked for proof of diving experience one time and that was at the time of booking. The dive op acepted a faxed copy of the last the pages in my logbook. As has been mentioned, I don't take my logbook on a boat.

I still have some dives signed off. Students get a kick out of signing my logbook and anytime I dive with cyber-friends I get them to sign it but as a general rule, unless it's a training dive I do not get signatures for fun dives.

Good for you for planning to keep an accurate logbook. You'll be glad you did!

If you keep diving, you'll eventually need a second volume anyway. If you continue, you'll need a third......... You can probably see where this is heading. Carry your most recent log, there's no need to transfer info, not is there a need to collect signatures (keep collecting if you enjoy it). Those few times I've needed to show a log, they've always accepted my statistical log (40 dives per page - no signatures) it has all my dives. All logs other than statistical log and the most recent stay on the book shelf.

I keep a computerized log. Very detailed. I only dive in the northeast. I have been on many boat dives. Never been asked once for a dive log.

all of different styles. I was asked to produce my log book when booking a spot on a commercial dive boat in Key Largo a couple of years ago since I did not have an AOW c-card. We were diving the Duane (100+') and they wanted proof that I had dove that deep within the last year. Luckily, I had my log and I had done two dives to 100+' the day before.

:nod:

Like Dee, I also use a 3 ring binder. You can keep your last 50 dives or so in there as well as other info such as blueprints/surveys if you are planning a wreck dive or profiles you may have printed off your dive computer. I also keep conversion tables, copies of aquatic life ID info, back up deco tables, contact info and other tidbits depending on where I'm going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom