Colors and visability underwater...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaseyJr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In general, what colors show up best (have greater visability) underwater? Since so much diving equipment is black, I'm looking for a "fun" color for things like my hood, but want to choose a "fun" color that will stand out (for safety reasons).

:fish::goldfish: :colouredsmilies: :fish::goldfish:

I agree with the yellow. My buddy and I went diving a few weeks ago and the only way I could see where he was is because of his bright yellow tank. I couldn't see him...only the tank.

As alcina says, the fluorescent yellows, oranges, and greens are the standouts. Caution on reds. These turn dark brown at 15-20 feet and almost black as you get deeper! I personally have a red BC and I actually think this is pretty cool, but to each his own!

Japanese diving equipment manufacturer Gull makes high-visibility fins called "Safe Mew" in orange:

ghwqls5hdn25az9.jpg

The colors disappear in this order accordingly as you dive deeper:
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet.

Yellow is a good choice but is only good until approx 35' of water. After that everything appears blue/green/violet/black.

Not really - most of the bright/fluoro coloured scuba gear shows up well deeper than that so as long as you stick with that range you'll get pretty good viz from it, even if it doesn't look like the "true" colour at depth :wink:

I dive blue and my wife dives yellow. Both are easy to see. The problem becomes that everyone has these colors. To idenify in a group it is nice to mixi it up. Just remember, the far out colors will cost. The light blue and red are bad choices. Dark blue show nice in pics.

My wife wanted pink...$$$. Just remember, the suit is covered by a BCD and the back of it is usually always black. If you want to stand out...fins and tanks. However, you usually rent the tank...so focus on the fins. If you are really concerned, use tank lights.

No matter what color you wear, it is about distance. You need to stay within a breath of each other to react. At that distance color is a fashion statement.

The info below is from Luria and Kinney (1) as reprinted by Adolfson and Berhage (2). Also listed here.

Code:
A. For murky, turbid water of low visibility (rivers, harbors, etc.)
    1. With natural illumination:
        a. Fluorescent yellow, orange, and red.
        b. Regular yellow, orange, and white.
    2. With incandescent illumination:
        a. Fluorescent and regular yellow, orange, red and white.
    3. With a mercury light source:
        a. Fluorescent yellow-green and yellow-orange.
        b. Regular yellow and white.
B. For moderately turbid water (sounds, bays, coastal water).
    1. With natural illumination or incandescent light source:
        a. Any fluorescent in the yellows, oranges, and reds.
    2. With a mercury light source:
        a. Fluorescent yellow-green and yellow-orange.
        b. Regular yellow and white.
C. For clear water (southern water, deep water off shore, etc.).
    1. With any type of illumination fluorescent paints are superior.
        a. With long viewing distances, fluorescent green and yellow-green.
        b. With short viewing distances, fluorescent orange is excellent.
    2. With natural illumination:
        a. Fluorescent paints.
    3. With incandescent light source:
        a. Fluorescent paints.
    4. With a mercury light source:
        a. Fluorescent paints.
        b. Regular yellow, white.
The most difficult colors at the limits of visibility with a water
background are dark colors such as gray or black.

Refs:
1. Luria SM, Kinney JA (March 1970). "Underwater vision". Science (journal) 167 (924): 1454–61. PMID 5415277
2. Adolfson J and Berhage, T (1974). Perception and Performance Under Water. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 0471009008.

Back
Top Bottom