HellDivers' Rodeo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustAddWater

Reaction score
I'm about 2/3 the way through Helldivers' Rodeo. It's a fun read, and has piqued an interest to try a rig dive/hunt. It reminds me of college with some fish tales. I've noticed in a few of the hunting stories that there is little regard to decompression obligations or safety stops. Is this the norm for gulf rig hunters, or hyperbole for the sake of the story?

JustAddWater once bubbled...
I've noticed in a few of the hunting stories that there is little regard to decompression obligations or safety stops.

Thats because if they're doing it right they're freediving - and there isn't any need for it!

:nono: scuba spearfishing....

Feel free to flame away.

Willer

Fontova is a member of this board. I just don't know if he is around anymore.

They are on scuba, keep a couple things in mind....

Most dives are rather short I don't recall any of them ever discussing a safety stop.

Plenty of people feel this is cowboy behavior and more apt to get you hurt, bent, or killed.

No this is not normal for Gulf rig diving.

I enjoyed the book. It was funny, entertaining, and in a small sense, educational, even if it was an example of what not to do.

Always remember... its a scary thing when a drunk redneck or in that case coona$$ says "Hey watch this!!":eek:

TwoBit

I've noticed in a few of the hunting stories that there is little regard to decompression obligations or safety stops

The basic rule is fast in-fast out. If dives are very short outgassing is quick. I'll normally gut the fish on the way up at the first cross member. Call it a 2 minute stop at 30' or less. Avoid doing a stop near structure at much less than 30' if any sea is running. Being anywhere near structure at depths where significant surge is possible is an invitation for a forest of stitches.

Is this the norm for gulf rig hunters, or hyperbole for the sake of the story?

If anything the examples he gives are toned down a bit. Most diving is not as described in the book, but those who dive out there often will recognise his examples as an "almost bad day."

One or two rig hunters are lost every summer, mostly from getting hung up in a line attached to a big fish and not being able to clear themselves. There are VERY specific safety measures used by the rig hunters that are as specific as those used by cavers. Be aware that the hunter's rules are based on critter interaction and "natural" entanglements line fishing line and shrimp nets, not rocks. This changes the rules a bit.

A few basic items are:
1. NEVER tie anything to you so you can't immediately release it! This includes the gun and shaft line. Anything attached to you, including your SCUBA rig, is to be considered disposable. The faster you can get rid of it when the world turns brown, the better.

2. Assume the world will turn brown on every dive. Plan for the emergency and entanglement. The life you save by doing this WILL be your own!

3. Buoyancy control has to be "running on automatic" with depth movement perception not requiring constant referral to depth gauges. If you are still futzing with your buoyancy while hunting in 800' of water it's easy to get distracted and go WAY to deep!

4. Compasses don't work on a rig (they'll often point to the nearst leg) and currents are fickle direction markers. Currents will often be going different directions at different depths, and may change directions during even a short dive. Orient to the structure and sun, if you can see it.

5. Shoot to kill! Being attached to a merely wounded fish 6' long is dangerous.

6. Remember at all times that shooting at any fish over 30 pounds can kill YOU if you mess up.

7. Keep your will up to date. Bodies (alive or dead) are rarely recovered if they spend a night in the open gulf. There be BIG things out there that hunt fish your size.

FT

Thanks for the responses.

I'll normally gut the fish on the way up at the first cross member. Call it a 2 minute stop at 30' or less

Does this further attract curious/hungry predators?

There are VERY specific safety measures used by the rig hunters that are as specific as those used by cavers.

Do you know of any resources providing such info?

Thanks,
JAW

Does this further attract curious/hungry predators?

Generally this is not an issue. A deep hunting dive is not long enough to develop an effective blood trail. A blood trail requires both time and current. Any current a diver can manouver in won't carry blood very far during the course of a 10minute dive. 1.5 knots is about the top end of a diver's ability to function. This gives a maximum length of blood trail of a quarter nautical mile. Generally a fish is "subdued" by cutting it's throat at depth to quickly flush the blood out of the meat for better eating, so most of the trail is in a single relatively small "blood ball" way below you.

Do you know of any resources providing such info?
JAW

There are no courses I know of that teach this stuff. It is often learned by watching those who have been doing a while. Those with 6 or more years hunting the rigs with good results generally have a clue.

FT

Yes friends, Humberto here. Been busy with a new book. Y'all are right. Our rig dives are generally short. "Bounce diving" they call it. Mine are usually shallower than most of the guys in my book. Decomp usually isn't a big issue.

And in case any of y'all hunt on dry land too. Here's the new book.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1590770099.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Same cast of characters. Same "guys week-end out" stuff with plenty of "Animal House' reminiscing around the campfire. But were hunting-fishing this time. In this book, ferocious wild swine and swinish game wardens replace the sharks.

Thank you
Humberto

Honestly, I put off buying it because I don't spearfish, but I saw it again at the local Barnes and Noble and picked up a copy. Absolutely an excellent read...some of the funniest **** I have read about diving in a long time. Definitely on my list of recommended diving related books from now on.

Slickeroo

Glad to hear you have a new book out. Really got a kick out of 'Helldivers Rodeo'! I agree with O-rings comment about it being "...one of the funniest..." books I've read in a while. Is the new one available?

I hadn't thought about spearfishing until I read your book. Unfortunately I live in the wrong part of the hemisphere so I can only go out (legally) and "hunt" catfish and carp on a regular basis. They aren't that much of a challenge...but good for practice...I hope the guys in the south appreciate (I'm sure they do, just a tad bit of envy coming out) what they have in their backyards.

Best Regards
Don

Back
Top Bottom