Votes: 11 8.3%
  • Smokers shouldn't be in the water

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • Don't smoke, Don't care who smokes

Votes: 57 43.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor

Reaction score
I have seen a few pages that say that some divers would not buddy with a diver who smokes, in fact I believe one of the technical training organisations won't train someone who smokes. What strikes me as odd is the number of instructors and divemasters I have met who smoke, the proportion seems higher than divers as a whole (maybe its the stress :) or the boredom ).

BTW I have not put this under the dive medicine section as I believe we all accept smoking is not a healthy pursuit, I am more interested in the reactions of ordinary divers.

So please express your opinions and if you are not annoyed by yet another poll vote above.

There's no middle ground here . . .I wouldn't refuse to dive with a smoker but obviously smoking's not a good thing, I wouldn't be completely indifferent either. For instance, I probably wouldn't bother listening if they tried to give me some advice about something, I do think, rightly or wrongly, that smoking DMs and instructors have less credibility.

Hi Conor, I've seen the posts in which people refuse to dive with smokers or have given up themselves- good for you, Seajay - but I think a lot of it comes down to your attitude to diving as much as anything else.

I regard diving as a pastime, not my life's vocation, though obviously I need to have a reasonable level of fitness and knowledge to minimise risk to myself and my buddies.

So my diving doesn't dictate the way I live my life outside the water. I know there are some who base their lifestyles around their diving activities - I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, before anybody takes offence - and I think those who refuse to dive with smokers probably fall into the latter category. If you take your diving so seriously that you're prepared to change your lifestyle to accommodate it, then obviously you will demand the same high standards of those you are going to buddy up with.

I don't smoke and never have - HATE it - but I know divers who do. I dive with them regularly at relatively shallow depths for short lengths of time. If I was doing more 'serious' diving I might have to review my choice of buddy. Then again, since I'm not as fit as I could be and horse my way through air, my smoking buddies might just be doing the same with me. :)

I would certainly listen to them if they offered advice, though - just because they are a slave to the weed doesn't mean they don't have a level of knowledge or experience far ahead of mine. Undoubtedly they know the risks inherent in smoking, as long as they don't pollute my air or endanger my safety then I don't object unduly.

...this is turning into an Irish Only thread :)

I had never considered judging professionals based on whether they smoke, but I see how it could be linked to commitment.

I have to confess as I am a smoker, but like the majority, one that would rather be an ex smoker. I guess although its seen as an obvious indication of fitness, it is not always an accurate one, of my main group of friends the smokers are actually the most active and I would say fitter than the majority of the non-smokers.

At the moment I am very much a recreational diver, but two of my aims are to give up smoking and to get more exposure to technical diving, the sequence in which these happen I don't know yet.

Saying i wouldn't listen to them is a bit extreme I guess - a lot depends on them, time and place etc. My attitude in previous post really stemmed from a couple of instructors I've seen puffing away in front of students right before a dive . . .not good.
You're right irishdiver - as long as they don't endanger you, they can do what they want.

I wrote that before I saw your last post Conor, I wasn't backtracking because I read that you are a smoker !

I would want to put out the fire first... :tease:

In reality (a place I tend to avoid) I tolerate a non-professional diver smoking far more than a pro doing it. It does indicate their level of commitment to the sport and their health. That being said, I think obesity is also a prime indicator of person's fitness to dive as well as their commitment to the sport. I fall into that category, and am frankly embarrassed that I have not made more progress in trimming my weight.

All of us have faults... some are more aware of their own, while others can only see the good in themselves and the bad in others.

BTW, I feel competent to post here as I am half Irish... :tease:

for some reason it hadn't even occurred to me that you might be back-tracking (just doesn't fit the profile so to speak :) )

Net-doc, I agree, some of us are open and honest about what some of our faults are and the affect the can have, other people have the ability to see faults as strengths or just ignore them, while continuing to criticise others.

But I'm sure if you talk to my mates they will list a whole set of faults that I had never thought of :(

I have been a nonsmoker for approximately 9 days. I wanted to quit even though I love smoking. This is no fun. This is very difficult. I'm an angry young man. If you've never smoked, you can't possibly imagine what it's like. However, I'm hanging on. I'm hoping the depressing feeling of a life without cigarettes is going to go away. I've had a few weak moments but I haven't taken a puff since 2 Sundays ago.

...sorry. I had to get that off my chest. :banging:

Back
Top Bottom