Last nights class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landlocked

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Did some OOA drills with our local SCUBA instructor. When we surfaced afterward, I asked about the routing of her primary under her right arm. (She uses an alternative device for her backup and about a 40" hose on her primary.) She said some lame stuff about it working good because of the swivel on her primary but that it confussed some students. I replied, that I thought she may have adopted it because of the recent cavern class she took. The look on her face was priceless. After some more mumbling she confessed that it was.

Tell you what, I love this board! :D

I've been using an inflator integrated octo for over over 5 years and my primary on a swivel and 48" hose routed under my right arm for about 4 years. I've never had a cavern class.

I started doing it this way because of the u/w trees I dive through in local lakes and some wrecks.....I didn't like that big loop of primary hose sticking out and snagging on things. At the time I had barely heard of DIR and couldn't care less what someone else thought, it just made sense. Still does.

Dee once bubbled...
and 48" hose routed under my right arm for about 4 years. I've never had a cavern class....... DIR....... and couldn't care less what someone else thought, it just made sense. Still does.
So your profile pic is at least 4 years old? (Excuss me. That would be 5, I can see an octo hose.)

Didn't mean to imply anything about DIR. The class mentioned in the above post was, I believe, TDI.

Yes it makes sense in not getting snagged. I think that would be the same reason that it would be important for cavern/cave/and wreck penetrations? It's just that my instructor made the change about the time she took the class. The point is, that I would not have known anything about alternative routing of the primary had I not been a member of this board because it was obvious that my instructor was not going to share the little she knew. Accordingly, I still love this board as a source of information. :)

Back
Top Bottom