How far South for spiny lobster hunting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvdiving

Contributor
Reaction score
An hour South of Mosul, Iraq or Ft Wayne, Indiana
Summer is getting close. I'm stuck in MD for some time. My gear is getting way too dry. If I'm here for the summer, I might as well make the best of it.

My question: How far South do I have to travel to find some spiny lobsters to hunt.

Good places? Good charter boats? Good shore dive spots? Any local divers that would care (feel pity) enough to let me come with them?:boom:

Way far south and west to the Southern California Pacific.... but our lobster season just ended. Opens back up towards the end of September. That should give you enough time to make it here. Let us know when you are in town. :)

Thanks Slowdiver

Actually, I live in Maryland (MD). I was looking for somewhere closer (on the East coast).

I don't have anything against California, it's just a tad far to drive for lobster dives.

Season ended? In Hawaii and Florida, it's open in any month with an "R".:boom:

luvdiving once bubbled...

Then, you'll have to go to Hawaii or Florida. Season is over in California. Finally!

I take it you don't approve?

Well, you can think what you want, but I have my reasons for a vendetta against lobsters. You see, lobsters killed my parents.

It was a dark and loney night. I was but a young lad when we started a drive from Key West late one night to our new home in Michigan when all of a sudden....yada, yada, yada.

So you see, I have my reasons!

Arnaud once bubbled...

Then, you'll have to go to Hawaii or Florida. Season is over in California. Finally!

We have them here in NC. Now mind you, ours are not the wimpy little ones like in Fla. I have seen pictures of one that when held chest high, the tail was down to the divers knees. Not sure what the season is but the last time I checked (several years ago) there was NO closed season with a limit of 2 pp. I would check with dive shops from Morehead City and Wilmington. I think some dive shops do lobster trips.

Thanks Slowdiver

You had better hurry then, because season ends here in Florida on Monday.

As a personal aside, I was out bug hunting today and got skunked. Only saw two, one in a hole too deep to get, and the other too small. :(

But it was a great day to be out diving. :D

Marc :jester:

I take it you don't approve?

Nope. I leave fishing or hunting to those who make a living out of it. When I dive, I like to watch the marine life.

I'll do that.

I've been to Moorehead City for some wreck diving. Not a bad way to spend a day! The weather was too rough for the U352 though.:boom:

FLL Diver once bubbled...
As a personal aside, I was out bug hunting today and got skunked. Only saw two, one in a hole too deep to get, and the other too small. :(

But it was a great day to out diving. :D

Marc :jester:
Hehe...did we dive off the same boat :).

Only saw 2 lobster in West Palm today, over 2 dives. The nurse shark and the Moray made up for it, though. Wan't even worth brining down the snare and bag. It seems the reef-line in Boynton was more conducive to bug huntin'. More ledges and stuff.

Oh well, no more bugs until August :sigh:.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom