New workbook for DIR-F class+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wb416

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just rec'd the workbook I ordered from the GUE site. More of a curiosity than anything since I've take the class already.

A quick review of the book revealed a summary of most of the lecture and powerpoint information used in the course. Even though I took profuse notes during class, I still found the summation useful. I don't know that I would call it a workbook as I understand the term (Q&A, problem solving, etc), because I see it as primarily a topical outline for the course. Evenso, with my learning style, having this info before class would have been useful. It looks like a good supplement to the DIR-F manual.

Anyone else looked this supplement over yet?

I'm trying to figure out which workbook you are referring to. I just checked the GUE website and all I found was the Fundamentals book, where are you looking and/or what is the title of the workbook. I'm very interested in taking a look at it but can't find it.

Thanks!

Brian

bwerb once bubbled...
I'm trying to figure out which workbook you are referring to. I just checked the GUE website and all I found was the Fundamentals book, where are you looking and/or what is the title of the workbook. I'm very interested in taking a look at it but can't find it.

Thanks!

Brian

Take a look on the Catalog Page. It's down the page a bit, and right above the manual.

cwb once bubbled...
I just rec'd the workbook I ordered from the GUE site. More of a curiosity than anything since I've take the class already.

A quick review of the book revealed a summary of most of the lecture and powerpoint information used in the course. Even though I took profuse notes during class, I still found the summation useful. I don't know that I would call it a workbook as I understand the term (Q&A, problem solving, etc), because I see it as primarily a topical outline for the course. Evenso, with my learning style, having this info before class would have been useful. It looks like a good supplement to the DIR-F manual.

Anyone else looked this supplement over yet?

Yep, just took the DIR-F class this weekend and one of our group had the workbook. I'll be getting a copy for the same reason you mentioned.

~<//><

P.S. Of course the course itself keeps changing almost weekly (MHK's PowerPoint didn't match his own pp handouts of two weeks ago, but the guts haven't changed).

Does this workbook have any information about this recreational dive profiling stuff with average depths and no computers in it?

MHK told us that Jarod told his instructors to stop changing the PPT slides. Then the students in the class who had the new workbook ($19.95 online) showed it to MHK he said he'd never seen it before (so clearly he wasn't using it for our class), but then he commented now he knows why JJ didn't want them changing the slides anymore - the presentation would get out of synch with the workbook :wink:. Quality was low on the book it is just a bunch of photocopy quality pages bound with that curl-ring style binding. And MHK hands out copies of his PPT slide presentation at the beginning of class anyway. Though as Ziggys_Friend said it was out of synch already with both the order and content of the slide presentation (we all figured it out though and took good notes).

well I ordered it any way , as I want to learn something so I don't look totally stupid before our class thanks all even though to be honest I will probably learn more in this one class than all my other class's per some of the ones on this board !!!!!!!!!!!

O-ring once bubbled...
Does this workbook have any information about this recreational dive profiling stuff with average depths and no computers in it?

Hee Hee... No... BUT...

I could see that since Deco is one of the D's of SADDDDD, and Average depth and Max Depth are discussed in reference to Rock Bottom calcs, that there are places where student's questions could allow the instructors to go there tangentially.

... there are about 40 pages of text (and another 40 pages for notes) so I may have missed it on my 2 or 3 overviews of the "Topical Outline" supplement (again, I hesitate to call it a workbook).

And Diverbuoy...
I have yet to take (or deliver) a non-diving class or seminar where there weren't liberties taken in the delivery of the material. What's more important to me is that the outline is in the material, allowing students to focus their notes on the meat of the content rather than scrawling down bullet points.

Also, for reference, it's allot better than the slide overviews in the back of IANTD manuals.

MHK I think made that pretty clear in our class too. He started out right away as he handed out the printouts of the slides that it was already out of synch with what we were going to see during the slide show because they make changes after every class. Then when you consider the differences between the trip reports here on Scubaboard I think everyone agrees there is variance between the instructors and the material. The core is the same otherwise.

cwb once bubbled...

I could see that since Deco is one of the D's of SADDDDD, .......

Oh no. You gave up the secret handshake.:wacko:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom