What constitutes cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
When you are using the PADI RDP it is recommended that you add 10 feet to the depth of your dive when you dive in cold water. With all the comments that I have heard various people make about what they consider cold I am wondering what is the definition of cold water for the PADI RDP? I ask since I made my "coldest" dive Saturday--39 degrees F. However 45 to 50 degrees F is not unusual for me. I wear a 3/2 full body wetsuit. Thanks for any information.

Originally posted by jbd
However 45 to 50 degrees F is not unusual for me. I wear a 3/2 full body wetsuit. Thanks for any information.

Man... I'd be hypothermic in that getup in that water temp. I'm cold in a 2pc. 7mm suit in 45 degree F. I'd lst about 2 minutes.

brrr!

-kate

Might want to have those nerve endings checked out.

I added 10ft depth on my last dive for cold conditions. The water temp was 70 degrees F. :cold:

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

jbd... How do you find the weather up here at the Arctic Circle? You forgot to mention that your 3/2mm wetsuit was made of whale blubber. How long do you stay in the water at that temp, in that suit?

If you can dive in water that cold with a suit that thin, you could probably get away with deducting 10 ft from your dive tables-tough guy.

Ark! 39 degrees in a 3/2 that's crazy! With every breath you exhale you will lose body heat, and eventually hurt yourself. I invite you to post a question in the medical section for the docs to take a crack at. I'm sure they will help in a proper and thorough explaination.

Ark! Walter!?! *shocked*

Walter,

Is that some kind of scientific measurement?
At exactly what temp do nipples get hard?

ID

Originally posted by Iguana Don
Walter,

Is that some kind of scientific measurement?
At exactly what temp do nipples get hard?

ID

I know a few peope who swear by the nipOmeter, or the smartie-meter, as some call it. The nipOmeter is more objective, so not as accurate as the smartie meter, which involves stacking smarties, and a height reference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom