Split fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In another post there is a discussion about tech diving and the subject of split fins and other specialized equipment came up. Just what is the advantage and purpose of split fins?:dork2:

Can of worms...opened. I started an innocent thread on this a month or so ago and it turned into a s***fest of personal attacks. Good luck.

No, it's a narrow, legitimate question.

I’m impressed. A split fin question that has gone unchallenged and unanswered for over an hour. When did restraint and self-control become a feature of SB?

OK – I’ll take the bait …

Perhaps its because no one can actually think of an answer to the question “Just what is the advantage and purpose of split fins?”
:popcorn:

They look cool on the shelf AND they come in colors.

I won a pair, so I use them because they were free. And they're red.

I actually prefer New Balance and would not wear a Nike even if it were free!

This is what I have heard about split fins (but have only used paddle so can't comment from personal experience):

Pros
----
Easier on your legs to kick with

Cons
----
Bad in a current
More expensive
More risk of entanglement (I don't understand how this one works though tbh)

My friend has a pair, so thinking of giving them a shot just to satisfy my own curiousity.

I'll bite too. Tried lots of fins, got lots of leg cramps. Tried Atomic Split fins, not a single leg cramp.

Back
Top Bottom