DIR and Vegetarian Diet?!?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ncsuScUbA

Registered
Reaction score
I have gotten the impression that GUE and DIR endorse a vegetarian or vegan diet. Is this true? If so, how does this in any way relate to diving physiology? I can understand the countless benefits of not smoking as well as not being overweight in relation to diving. I can also clearly see that having a high level of cardiovascular fitness will have numerous benefits to a diver. Im just having a hard time with this. Can anyone help me out?

To my knowledge, and I could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time), they just advocate a healthy lifestyle. One of the instructors is a veg and it has become a bit of a joke that you have to eat like Andrew.

Now if I am wrong I am sure that it will be pointed out shortly. :D

Chad

GUE's recommended readings list has few vegitarian related books listed. Don't think its a requirment though

Do you have the Fundy's book?

K

According to "the book" ...

"DIET/BODY MASS
During a typical day, technical divers have a fairly good feel for their total caloric intake, as well as for the number of proteins, carbohydrates and fats they consume. Fatty foods, what one would typically find at a fast-food restaurant, do not factor into their diet. Technical divers have little difficulty maintaining a body weight that is in proportion to their height, sex and build. Their percentage of body fat, relative to total body mass, is well below that of the typical recreational diver."

And that's all he wrote ...

~<//><

I took my DIR-F with Bob Sherwood.

Our group went out to dinner together Friday and Saturday nights. As I recall, he ate meat, albeit in reasonable portions.

They are not all vegans.

I seriously doubt that I could EVER stop eating meat.

Meat is not that bad for you as long as it's lean and your intake is reasonable. It's good for packing on the muscle in the gym too.

Is that the only thing about nutrition in the DIR-F book? I do not eat fast food/ fried food. Nor do I even consume ground beef. I do however eat grilled chicken, seafood, and flank steak regularly. I find that these meats are essential to my weight training regimen. Not only are they low in fat, but they also provide me with the essential proteins that I need to build and maintain quality muscle mass. Other protein sources such as soy and proteins found in beans etc. are also obviously available, but I do not feel that one can get all of the nutrients that the body requires from these sources alone. Not only that, but I just love the taste of meat. I realize that some meats can be high in cholestrol. But I feel that if you maintain a cardio program and excersise regularly this should not be an issue, unless of course you are predisposed to these types of problems. I am just struck by the fact that GUE lists books relating to vegetarian/vegan diets. I am mainly just curious as to whether or not a diet containing no meat is benefical to a diver. If they are not beneficial to a diver in any major way, what is the purpose of endorsing this eating behavior? I just dont see why GUE would list these books as reccomended reading. In my opinion, vegetarian diets are the complete opposite of what most people intend them to be, healthy.

In other threads. The bottom line is balance. To be healthy, you need to eat healthy, and that involves balance.

Some choose Vegan. Some choose Veggi. Some choose carnivore. Most of us are in the middle.

Personally, I'm about 80% veggie, 17% chicken & Fish, 3% In-N-Out Burger.

Its about fitness, not about diet. One will drive the other. Its about balance. There are no JJ trading cards. Its not about celebrity endorsements. Its more about being focused on becoming a better diver, and less about becoming more like a few celebrity divers. One of the things that contributed to being a better diver is being fit.

There are no food nazis in DIR. Be healthy. Seek a healthy lifestyle. Make wise choices.

However, Kool-Aid is made from fruit juice...

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom