Do you check tanks for pressure and contents before you leave the shop?

Do you check the pressure and contents before leaving the shop?

• I always check the pressure before leaving

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I trust the shop to fill and take their word for it

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I sometimes check

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • I check contents if it's a mix but not pressure

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • I always check contents and pressure when diving a mix

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I always check contents and pressure when diving air or a mix

Votes: 18 20.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dabigcat

Registered
Reaction score
After reading through the stingy air fills thread I stumbled across a post by Dectek that stated one of the guys was playing a joke and did not fill the tank and then called him on the cell to tell to come back so I got to thinking. I ALWAYS check my fills and analyze contents if I got a Nitrox fill before I leave the shop. Is this standard operating procedure?

IMO you'd have to be pretty stupid not to check a mix. And pressure is only important if you really want to dive instead of just carrying the tank around to look kool.

Is that a choice??

MD

I do both, check my mix and pressure. Most shops I've been to require you to do this and write your fill and pressure in a book and sign.

I do not have my EAN certification but I remember watching a guy analyze his tank and pressure. The next day when we went diving, he re-checked the pressure and found it had dropped significantly (several hundred psi) on both tanks. Someone then said to him that the temperature of the gas had changed overnight and that it was now reading at a lower pressure.

Is this true? What is going on? Is this something which happens regularly?

Curious.

Brian

dabigcat once bubbled...
After reading through the stingy air fills thread I stumbled across a post by Dectek that stated one of the guys was playing a joke and did not fill the tank and then called him on the cell to tell to come back so I got to thinking. I ALWAYS check my fills and analyze contents if I got a Nitrox fill before I leave the shop. Is this standard operating procedure?

Whoever doesn't do this is eventually going to sit out a dive while grumbling about someone else's incompetence and perhaps not realising that it was his/her own fault.

At our club some of us encourage students from the very start to check their own tank pressure before leaving the shop for pool sessions. We also teach whoever wants to learn it how the compressor works so they can do thier own fills. Habits like this are best learned early and reinforced often.

R..

in proportion to the absolute teperature. IF his tank pressure dropped that signifigantly, then he checked the tanks right after they were filled... while they were still hot. I wonder how much his O2 readings were off due to this? The temperature of the cal gas (air from a cyl) as well as the flow rate should be consistent for an accurate reading. Some analysers are more forgiving than others, but I would not trust that at all.

bwerb once bubbled...
I do not have my EAN certification but I remember watching a guy analyze his tank and pressure. The next day when we went diving, he re-checked the pressure and found it had dropped significantly (several hundred psi) on both tanks. Someone then said to him that the temperature of the gas had changed overnight and that it was now reading at a lower pressure.

Is this true? What is going on? Is this something which happens regularly?

Curious.

Brian

Hi Brian... nice troll.

Doppler once bubbled...

Hi Brian... nice troll.

I saw his tanks right after filling read 3000 psi. Next morning they read 2800 psi and 2750 psi.

NetDoc...why is gas "hot" coming from an O2 tank? Would you recommend waiting a certain time before testing them? How long would you end-up taking to be sure you had the right proportions and pressure in your tank? Again...I'm totally serious!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom