instructor cross over

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

faye

Reaction score
I have become tired of dealing with PADI and teaching their courses and would like to cross over to another angency that allows me to develop my own teaching format.
I have heard that SSI encourages their instructors to build there own course structure and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them or other agencys in this respect?

its instructors to develope their own teaching program as long as they meet all the standards.

I can't speak for SSI other than I believe their instructors are required to be affiliated with a shop and can not teach independently.

Also I have seen comments on the boards that PADI instructors are allowed to add material to their courses. Maybe you're just not fully aware of what flexibility you have?? I'm a NAUI instructor so I'm not real familiar with PADI's teaching requirements.

I can't speak for SSI, but I'm sure Rick will jump in before long to answer your questions. I do know SSI requires a shop affiliation. If you like that concept, there's a local SSI shop you like and they meet your other requirements, go for it.

Two agencies you might consider are YMCA and NAUI. Both agencies set high minimum standards, but give you much more freedom in teaching that you are used to within the PADI system. For example, I do not introduce SCUBA until the third pool session. I teach this way because I feel it gives a better foundation on which to lay SCUBA skills. If I were a PADI instructor, I would be in violation of standards as SCUBA must be introduced in module 1. Since I am a YMCA instructor, I have the freedom to introduce SCUBA right away or hold off and bring it in when I feel it fits best. This is just one example of the freedom afforded both YMCA and NAUI instructors.

Yah man, I just feel like a robot going through the motions when I teach PADI. I do independant teaching, so I would like the backing of an agency to allow me to guid the students as I see fit. I'll check out NAUI

SSI does allow quite a bit of flexibility in how its instructors meet standards. As an SSI instructor you can tailor your course to meet pretty much any situation in the way that's best for you and your students.
SSI requires that its instructors be affiliated with an SSI dealer, whose responsibility is to provide its instructors with training materials, administrative support and quality control. As an instructor (not a dealer) I find this system to be sound in its support of my needs as an instructor as well as the best system in the industry at assuring quality instruction from those representing SSI. While many outside the SSI system feel that shop affiliation is confining somehow, I think this is largely due to their not understanding just how it works. For example, if I want to be an “independent” instructor, I can do so – I just get my materials through my affiliating shop, and the shop processes any paperwork (C-cards & such) for me. The dealer is also responsible for monitoring my training and submitting an annual report to SSI that I’m meeting standards. Just how we accomplish that goal is up to us. Some chafe at this monitoring of their work, but I would ask “why?” of any instructor who feels routine agency monitoring isn’t appropriate and necessary. The day I feel my instructional performance is above critical scrutiny, evaluation – and subsequent improvement and modification – is the day I need to quit instructing.
To put that opinion in perspective, between flying and diving, I have been a professional instructor (and instructor evaluator) for 36 years, and yet I continue to learn better ways to do things with every student, and from my fellow instructors.
I like SSI.
Rick

What about GUE? How does THEIR training work? What if a PADI guy wanted to become a GUE Instructor? What do they require?

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
What about GUE? How does THEIR training work? What if a PADI guy wanted to become a GUE Instructor? What do they require?

Actually, that just happened to BCS from this board. I'll ask him to respond, or you can PM him.

If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll get you his email address. He's not on this board very often.

that you should be always learning something from your students and other instructors and that your work as an instructor should never be beyond scrutiny or critique for quality purposes.

faye once bubbled...
I have become tired of dealing with PADI and teaching their courses and would like to cross over to another angency that allows me to develop my own teaching format.

Simple, NAUI. You have a lot of freedom with NAUI. I can add things to the class as I see fit and go above and beyond standards with no problems. (Within reason. Use good judgement as always.) I don't have to be a robot in the classroom like PADI requires and can actually give them meaningful instruction.

faye once bubbled...
I have heard that SSI encourages their instructors to build there own course structure and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them or other agencys in this respect?

I know what you mean, I'm about fed up with agencies in general. Is there a specific training issue your trying to solve? There are certainly changes I would like to see in PADI standards but IME there is enough room to move to make it a really great class. What is it you need to do that you can't?

I'm also an IANTD instructor but people come in and ask for PADI. With IANTD there are certainlt now restrictions on the order in which you introduce skills other than confined water must be completed prior to OW.

GUE has some attractive qualities but there isn't much there for a recreational instructor. The don't currently have an Open Water class so you can't certify anyone. They don't have a Rescue, Advanced or Nitrox class. Unless you want to teach tech and cave there just isn't much there for a recreational instructor. Also as I understand it there are very few Instructor trainers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom