A Rant...Feel free to Ignore and let slip off the board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12voltman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Prefaced with "It could be my own damn fault"

But that doesn't make me any less pissed off, or frustrated.

Flew into Miami with 2 checked pieces of luggage. A duffle and a Pelican 1650. Naturally the Pelican had almost all of my gear in it, and quite naturally the one bag to not be available to me in baggage claim would be the one of the most value. After 2 days of waiting for it to show up on the "next flight" according to agents in baggage claim, I am reconciled to having $2000 worth of gear go by by. And as I mentioned before I do have the "it's my own damn fault" thing going on in my head to somehow keep me from wanting to start cruising every dive boat operation in S. Florida looking for my stuff. Hey, it's not like I didn't mark the inside of it very well with all my c-cards and logbook.

Want to know the best part. You're going to love it. I am employed by the airline from which my bag is missing. Yeah, I know....you can stop cheering now and sit down. I normally check a piece of luggage about as often as we have a Gulf War, well maybe not that often, but only because I almost always travel very light. In this case there was no avoiding it. I'm starting a job down here and needed my gear. Like I said, I'm employed by an airline. That means I am not really working for an airline at the moment....I am on a leave of absence trying to get away from a disastrous way of life....that of the airline employee. Boy there's a lot of irony here that could be explored, but I'm just going to go away now.

Anyway, be careful with your Pelican's as I think they have steal me written on them sometimes. By the way, I actually think the bag was taken off of the belt in Miami, as I didn't arrive as early as my luggage. The other bag was already in the office waiting for me.

Don't give up hope yet, it may still turn up. What about home insurance, would it cover the loss?

It's a little late to bring this up, but lots of people have discussed the merits of packing there stuff in rubbermaid containers and throwing them into duffels or using an action packer. These options don't stick out like a pelican.

Sorry about your luck.

Hey, do you have any insight - since you work for an airline - on how to avoid other types of airport hassels?

but lots of people have discussed the merits of packing there stuff in rubbermaid containers and throwing them into duffels ....

and that would have been me.....

heyh 12 volt.....i never...ok almost never....but def not in your case...cheer for someones misfortune. I used to use Pelican cases and stopped. I would be pounced on by the wonderful TSA gestapo.....and one time before i could even get to the ticket counter the agent said very loudly....boy does that bag look overweight???? (i guess she was used to seeing overweight bags....sorry)...any way.....

now i just use a non descript bag with my "delicate" gear in hard plastic....tupperware like.....cases and off it goes none the wiser. Actually the gear that goes inside is my bcd and small items. My reg, compass, dive log and pony bottle (drained and capped) go in a carry on bag.....and yes ....that stuff sets off every alarm to the uninitiated. I have been xrayed and sent on my way a couple times...no checks...boy was i surprised.

I have often thought....if i were knee deep in money....about putting one of those tracking devices in my bcd and find it once stolen.....cool.....and line the inside with c-4 or centex....oh yea....and let them go under before i detonate;......opps...sorry...just a fantasy....

I don't understand why people buy those ridiculously expensive dive bags. You're just asking for people to steal it. Use a hockey bag - they're tough, and they don't stand out. Pack your regs, computer, mask in your carry-on and you're fine.

BTW, since you work for an airline, I'm sure you know that baggage can can take days if not weeks to get back. On my way back from Mexico, my baggage got lost and ended up in Denver, then got sent all the way to Mexico City, and about a week later ended up in Edmonton.

Darryl

leave it to a Canuck to come up with a way to use hockey gear all 12 months.... :)

SS

I pack my dive gear in a suit case along with a dive bag.
I don't want my gear to stand out,
I want it to look like ordinary luggage.

my 2 cents worth.

MikeD

dvleemin,
A hockey gear bag may not stick out in Canada, but most people don't fly to dive in a place where hockey is an everyday thing. Tell me...Does a Bikini stick out like a sore thumb in January up there?

I would like to point out that a hockey gear bag will hold a lot more gear than the average duffel or gym bag. If you pack well a 140 lb. body will fit too. (Yes I am a Teamster and I am from Jersey)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom