LDS sales habits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Every time I walk into my LDS I am always being fed some sort of sales pitch....does your LDS do this?

Sometimes when I havent been in, in a while, I'll stop in and say hi and BS with them, but no matter the topic..it eventually ends up into trying to get me to buy something from them.

I emailed a question to one of the employees there and he promptly responded to it, but at the end of the email he goes...by the way..we still have openings for our trip at the end of this month.

I understand its a business and they need to survive, but if I wanted to buy something from them, I would. Its not like they are going to talk me into a major purchase when I just went there to BS.

Its to the point where when they compliment me like saying stuff like...I think you would make an excellent divemaster, I just think its another sales pitch to take the course and make their pockets richer.

Your thoughts are welcomed.

its just business <shrug>

as long as they don't over-push it, they're just trying to make a buck.

WW

I organize some of my LDS' local trips.

I try to tell everyone I can about them for two reasons. First, its more fun with more people. Second, I don't want anyone to feel left out.

Nod...it's a business.

Some come off like used car salesmen, some come off like casual "Hey just thought you might like to know abou...no?...ok.."

I work with maketers and there is a Golden rule for sales and marketing: Ask for the sale.
There have been a billion suveys done and it always somes out that a lot of the time, people don't buy because they aren't asked if they would like to buy "it". A lot of people figure "well, if he's not interested in selling it to me, then I'm not interested in buying.."

You'd be surprised at how often it works and how much junk people buy that they don't need, but they think they do.

You'd also be surprised at how often I think people are just killing time or window shopping, but I go over and ask if they have any questions and they say "Yeah, I need a BC, Computer and Reg. Mine just got stolen, or sold or given to my kid, etc."

That one always take me by surprise and after I get up off the floor, I take them shopping.

Often the goal is not to sell right then, but to put the bug in their ear so they will think about it and come back.

There's nothing wrong with "Hey what can I sell you today?" It's when they don't take no for answer that kills all future sales.

You're all right.....

I just dont have anything better to do at work, but post on here and think of things that aggravate me. :)

I swear though..if I was blind, they would try selling me prescription lenses for my mask.

I dont mean to offend any blind people who may be reading this.

:/

Whats really sad is I would buy a lot more from the LDS if their prices were not so high.

But you can't even hint you want a lower price. They get really pissed if you do...sigh. Back to buying on-line....

narcT once bubbled...
Whats really sad is I would buy a lot more from the LDS if their prices were not so high.

But you can't even hint you want a lower price. They get really pissed if you do...sigh. Back to buying on-line....

I don't have any problem with the 3 shops I use, but then I don't antagonize them by buying my stuff on the web or throwing LP prices in their faces. And I also realize they are trying to make a living.

Id have to say no they dont. They know i am picky about my gear and i use certain brands they dont carry. They never try to sell me anything infact, i know what i want before i even walk in. If i need something i ask them if they can get it.

Andy

One of my LDS that I frequent often is having a really tough time, much like any other business with the way the economy is going.

They have always welcomed me in for a BS session or for good advice. They are friendly. probably too friendly. I bet they wished they had ask for more sales especially at this date.

The manager and course director drives a beat up econobox. The shop has two rusting vans and nobody gets a day off.

A typical day as I see it, has the mamager in the store at11:00 AM. 3-4 nights a week he is at the YMCA doing OW classes until 10:00 PM. His weekends are spent at the Quarry certifing new divers. These guys and gals work hard. Then take the fact that even with the high prices, no one is getting rich working at a dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom