Rock On Scubaboard! Big week for me - 6 months on the board, 500th post..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'll cross both milestones this week. Normally this sort of event is worthy of a big "ho-hum"...but I took a look back and saw how much the board and this community has contributed to my diving.

Gear and Bio at joining the board:
SeaQuest Balance BC, AirSource, O'Neill 1 pc 7mm, Atomic B-1, Atomic Split Fins, Oceanic Data-Trans+ Computer. 46 dives in 4 years.

OCTOBER 2002
Ken joins the board - lurks around and doesn't sleep for the first 3 days, as I pound through dozens and dozens of archives, and hundreds of threads. My first post was so limp. Way to represent with a wimper:
* I bandwagon into some thread and reference Uncle Pug
* I reference a Reverse Frog Kick (like I had a clue...)
* I said dude
Open mouth, insert wetsuit bootie. Thank you for playing, rookie.

The very memorable "Is Scuba a sport" thread was a classic.

I attend DEMA.

I order Dry suit. Life is about to get interesting...

NOVEMBER 2002
One of the first threads that got me thinking about diving in a different way - my motivations and intents, etc. The "Black water diving" thread. Very cool stuff there.

I was there, live, for the champion Coke-spitter thread of all time: "Clip off Fido like a stage." I think, "Geeze, not only is this board filled with a bunch of smart people and experienced divers, there are some funny damn people here..." I think I'll hang out.

DECEMBER
Chuck my SAD kit, and use knowledge from board to build a really kickin' Dry Box.

Dry suit comes in. Post a thread detailing the excitement and thoughts of my first dry suit dive. I get 0 responses.

I sell the Balance and buy a fluffy SeaQuest Black Diamond BC.

After my first truly in-water traumatic experience, I look to board for group therapy, and post my "First time I've really been scared on a dive..." Overwhelmed by the support and response. Thank you all.

JANUARY 2003
In some thread I spout that my Atomic Split fins rule, and I'd never trade them for some stubby planks. Scubaroo smells a sale, so he PM's me. I buy and install his last set of Spring Straps on my Atomic Fins - and the slippery slope begins...

Buy the Fundy's book. Losing my footing fast...

Pick up a BackPlate off of eBay. Things get real slippery as the Public Humiliation begins.

FEBRUARY 2003
eBay the fluffy Black Diamond and AirSource.

Wing, harness, long hoses, bolt snaps, and other stuff starts to show up.

2/5 - I essentially tell Scubaroo in a post that he's mental if he thinks I'm going to ever get a canister light. "...that's just way too much money for a LHMS (long hose management system). I'm happy with my Light Cannon..."

I spout off about "...maybe this summer I'll take a DIR/F class. Not sure about that though...seems like overkill..."

2/20 - after several posts in November through January about how "I love my Datatrans" and "I may go DIR, but I'll always keep the computer around..." I post with thread entitled “Slowly regenerating my rotting brain” and commit to moving off the ROMBOD (Retractor-mounted Oceanic Mini-Brick Of Death.)

Open mouth, insert Rock Boot.

MARCH 2003
Overrated Scout light rolls in.

eBay my heavy-assed, clumbsy, fragile, battery-eating Light Cannon.

Buy a Canister light (Open mouth, insert other Rock Boot.)

Lop off the nub from my first stage, buy an SPG, remove the compass and wrist-mount my ROMBOD.

Go for a couple of practice trips to work on trim, buoyancy and kicks. Post a thread runnin' it that I'm confident that I have enough game to not drool all over myself in DIR/F class in a few weeks.

Take DIR/F class. Pass the bib. I got no game. (open mouth, insert yet another Rock Boot.)

APRIL 2003
As part of my Public Humiliation, post a 4 part series detailing my take on the DIR/F class.

Post a very funny, but semi-condescending thread in the new DIY room about the Do It Yourselfers on the board.

A few days later, I get pinned by a DIY'er for asking how to mod some gear (mouth now way too crowded to insert foot...maybe a glove?)

Suunto Sk7 arrives. I tell no one about this, as I silently lurk about and find a thread for a DIY bungee wrist-mount.

Order Suunto D3. Feel rotted brain beginning to miraculously regenerate. Plans to eBay the ROMBOD in the works.

Gear and Bio 6 months after joining the board:
Halcyon BP/W, DUI 50/50 Sig Series Dry suit, DIR Gas Delivery, wrist-mounted Bottom timer/watch, wrist-mounted compass, Helios canister light, Turtle fins, blah blah blah... 85 dives to date...almost more in last 6 months than in previous 4 years.

Additional notable quotes, which will no doubt one day drive another case of Athlete's Tongue:

* "I'll never dive doubles...I can't ever see me getting to that place..."
* "I'm strictly recreational... I don't get the whole attraction to tech diving..."
* "Scooter...that's why I have fins..."
* "I don't get the whole Deco thing. So you go real deep, hang out, then sit on a line for an hour or two... what's the deal there?"

Having just about extricated the 6 months of boots from my mouth (oh, theres room for more, I'm sure) I'll say that for the foreseeable future, there are no tech, doubles or scooter diving plans. Of course, that's what I said about most of this stuff.

Its been a great 6 months. Thank you, thank you, thank you. All of you rule. I can't wait to see what this Summer holds for my diving, training and growth.

K

well done ken!

we're ALL in a constant state of growth/learning, the trick is in realizing it!

many happy returns

said the Pinner to the Pinee...

thx.

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
I order Dry suit. Life is about to get interesting...

In some thread I spout that my Atomic Split fins rule, and I'd never trade them for some stubby planks. Scubaroo smells a sale, so he PM's me. I buy and install his last set of Spring Straps on my Atomic Fins - and the slippery slope begins...

Buy the Fundy's book. Losing my footing fast...

Pick up a BackPlate off of eBay. Things get real slippery as the Public Humiliation begins.

Wing, harness, long hoses, bolt snaps, and other stuff starts to show up.

Buy a Canister light (Open mouth, insert other Rock Boot.)

Lop off the nub from my first stage, buy an SPG, remove the compass and wrist-mount my ROMBOD.

Suunto Sk7 arrives.

Order Suunto D3

So, I'm thinking about $5500. Just about $11 per post :D

There is one thing I've learned in my time:

"Never say Never" it will come back to haunt you.

My regrets would be buying stuff that I later decided I didn't need, like that Ranger.....

72 posts!

DIVE more Post less!!

.:nuts:.:nuts: .:nuts:

Just kidding, glad you find the board helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom