Check out dive this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jwood

Contributor
Reaction score
Well....almost there, passed my written test last evening and did very well per my instructor.....now the fun part (BRRRR) I check out at Dutch springs this weekend with water temps at or near 40
anybody have any warming thoughts......I'm sure clearing my mask is gonna be a blast.....

What day this weekend? If you look at the Dutch Springs thread, you will see that there are a lot of people from Scubaboard going this weekend to meet/greet and dive.

Jwood,
Welcome to the board. Good Luck on your great adventure. Take warm clothes and hot drinks. You should be duplicating skills already well learned in your confined sessions. It will make you appreciate the future warm water dives.
Good Luck,
Larry

the way I understand it...Saturday and Sunday I believe a total of 4 dives...2 each day.....I noticed the Dutch thread.....I'll probably be on the student side and pretty sure they wouldn't appreciate baby sitting (LOL)

Some wise diver found how to turn elementary elements into gold:

Bring LARGE cooler of hot water to OW cert dives. Magically at end of first cert dives, water can be converted into gold with wetsuit students. Going rate per ounce varies depending on water temp.

50 o C - Pork Belly futures
40 o C - Silver futures
30 o C - Gold futures

Considering your locale, you might want to be properly equipped for enquiring minds:

What's the Mission

Are you going to checkout in a wetsuit or a drysuit? The mask clearing actually isn't to bad. When you first get into the water, duck your head under without the mask as sort of a bracer, that way when you take off the mask, the impact of cold water won't be quite as bad. At least that worked for me.

Another thing to consider bringing is chapstick and skin lotion. For some reason, the cold water + surface intervals makes my skin dry out and my lips crack if I don't lube up a little after the dive.

And also if you can, bring a thermos of hot soup or warm drink. It can go a long way to helping to raise your core temp between dives.

Feel free to trundle by and at least say hello, a lot of people are trying out new drysuits/recently certified or what have you anyway.

sounds like the hot liquids is the deal....If I'm able to get away from my instructor for a few minutes I'll try and stop by....I'm his only student to check out so it might go pretty quickly.....Still haven't quite figured out all the particulars regarding suits yet.....have no experience either way as of yet.....My instructor is providing a 7mm farmer John.....hoping thats gonna be enough!

that the instructor is providing should be enough for the dives. Will you be wearing a hood and gloves as well? It would be nice if you have long enough surface intervals and adequate protection from the elements to really feel warm before doing the second dive each day. If there is no shelter there at the very lest take a plastic tarp that you can wrap around you to block the wind or breeze from hitting you during the surface interval.

Warm water in the suit will help some and lots of hot beverages during the surface interval.

Don't be bashful about meeting the other scubaboarders while you are there and certainly drag your instructor along to meet them as well:)

The most frequent advice given to those going on their certification dives is to relax, relax, relax relax, and have fun!!

Let us know how you liked it when you get home.

Jwood: I am sure that you will be using a hood and gloves so that should be keeping you a little warmer. I was ceritified at Dutch last summer and it was a lot easier then expected. I am sure that it will be a little chilly, but having a blanket for surface intervals might not hurt. :wink: Just remember when you take the skills tests to take your time. It is not timed and you are not in a hurry. :)

If they have not already fitted you for your 7 mil wet suit make sure it fits very well. The better the fit the warmer you will be. :)

I will be there for most of the summer. If you need a dive buddy, look me up.

Jwood
if you fill a large mouth thermos or a cooler with hot water,then, put your hood, mitts, and boots in for 20-30 minutes before your dive, they will be warm and toasty. have a good time and good luck.:eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom