Favorite dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I love going back through my dive logs, especially over the pages that contain my favorite dives. You know what I mean, you all have some unforgettable dives, right? Those dives that mark a skill or special memory? What are they?
My favorites, in no particular order:

-My very first OW dive (outside of Dutch Springs) in Belize. I surfaced and burst into tears. :sorry:

-My first night dive, it was in Cozumel, and there were octopi all over the bottom of the ocean. I was a new diver at the time, and I have never been so profoundly floored. I laid there on my stomach for a half hour and watched them. Three of them approached me and reached out their arms. I felt suckers all over my arms, and one tried to grab my mask! :D
It literally changed my life.

-Seal Beach in La Jolla. We waded into the water at the swimming beach, put our faces in the water, and saw about 20 sharks of different species in one field of vision. Now THAT was a cool dive.

-Mary's Place in Roatan. The landscape is what made that dive so special. at 90', I laid on my back and learned to blow air-rings.

-The Salt Pier, Bonaire. I think we did that dive about 5 times the week I was there. Excellent life there, we got to see some really special nudibranchts, and these baaaaaby squid that were so cute I wanted to pinch their cheeks.

-The Town Pier, Bonaire. A slightly creepy night dive under the town pier that is a macro photographer's paradise. The sun doesn't hit it, so the corals and anemones are free of photosynthetic algae, so the colors are surreal. Also full of juvenile fish.

-The Duane, Key Largo
Perhaps I got lucky and dove the Duane on a slack-current day. It was my first wreck, and I'll never forget what it was like to be hanging on the anchor line, looking down, and having the wreck appear 90' below me like some ghostly image. It was COOL! :D

Well as funny as it sounds...

One of my favorites is my local spot that dive on a weekly basis

Southern California
vis is 15' on a good day and water temp is usuallly below 60 on a good day. But it's got a little bit of everything, a cave, a tunnel, an archway, lots of diverse marine life... and the kicker is that it's a shore dive so it's FREE (that's why I really like it :D )

Kauai
My first dive in Kauai the conditions were just perfect. The location was Sheraton Caverns, it was my first real "cavern" experience and we saw a family of LARGE sea turtles and I got to play with an Octopus (which I got on video as well). This dive is what made me really persure diving.

Sh'ab Nuhaus in the northern Red Sea

Anywhere on Bloody Bay Wall - Little Cayman.

Caymaniac :)

I agree completely on the Bloody Bay Wall. My two favorites are Randy's Gazebo and Marilyn's Cut (aka Hole in the Wall I believe). Also have to throw in the dolphin dive at Anthony's Key. Haven't ever had wild dolphins show up yet on a dive so that was as close as I have been able to get so far. I had just always dreamed about sitting underwater and watching/interacting with dolphins, so that was a blast.

AggieDiver

I've only had one real dive trip (to Key Largo), so it's a short list to pick from, but I reckon it's still a keeper:

Last dive of the trip, we were out at the sand dollar reefs (I think that's the name)... as everyone on the boat swam off to the portside of the boat, we (buddy & I) go starboard. I pop over a reef & see an "amphitheater" of reef, with an island in the middle. There's a nurse shark feeding on something under the island -- he's not moving too much.

Coming out from under a ridge across the amphitheatre is a long ole moray eel -- he swims around the island, sees the shark, and goes around to the farside of the island.

'Bout this time, my buddy comes swimming up and sees the nurse shark as well.

Not being the sharpest tool in the shed, he swims over, pulls out his dive knife to prod the shark & see what's going on with it.

'Bout THAT time, the moray eel completes his circuit of the island, and ends up face to face with my dive buddy.

He jumped about 10feet in the water & I got a mouthfull of water because I was laughing so hard.

Still makes me chuckle today.

rugbydiver once bubbled...
Not being the sharpest tool in the shed, he swims over, pulls out his dive knife to prod the shark & see what's going on with it.
This sickens me.

BTW, this buddy wasn't by choice. I was flying solo down in Largo, and was getting paired up with whomever else needed a buddy on the boat....

I figured he got his just rewards when he was scared into a warhammer by that moray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom