How important is knowing marine life?

How important is it to know local marine life?

• Very important to me

Votes: 32 86.5%
  • I'm neutral

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Unimportant to me

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
As a marine biologist and underwater videographer, I'm interested in knowing how many of you divers feel it is important to know about the marine life in the locations you dive regularly, or new locations for that matter.

This interest may be for species ID, understanding the local ecological relationships, knowing how to hunt better, etc.

I have been quite surprised to see how few divers (and instructors) seem to really know the local marine critters.

Thanks for participating.

Dr. Bill

I like knowing what I'm looking at. Locally, the marine life is not exactly varied, but I like adding to the count of what I've seen.

To date I believe the number of different fresh water fish and critters that I've had the pleasure to view while diving is approximately 30 -- from muskies, sturgeon, pike, bass, HUGE carp and the American eel.

Now every time I get into salt water... I will admit I go wild. Scribbling notes to myself so I can try and identify the natives. Still learning, but loving every moment.

I like to know what I'm looking at, and as a DM or instructor I like to be ready for any questions that might come up.

im kind of a nut and want to know all kinds of speices of fish, and when im in fresh water there are very few fish i dont know, but when im in saltwater there area myriad of fish that are unidentifiable to me. its exciting to learn more about your surroundings, plus its good to know the fish that are going to make you bleed!!

I like to know what's there.....where I'm diving. I like to watch the interaction of the reef life, especially between different species. When I first started diving I got to know the fish that were in the area, what was popular what was not, what was indemic. Then, I started to notice all the diff. kinds of corals. I love to see pelegics. I also notice the large plankton life, very interesting........I'm probably gonna bore a bunch of people:eek:ut: , too bad, I enjoy it.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac:boom:

the local diving doesn't have much variety. Couple of different kinds of catfish, bass, bluegills and hybrids of bluegills, some crawdads, turtles and jellyfish.

On the rare occasions when I get to the ocean I am fascinated by the great variety of marine life and less so by the wrecks.

A good part of the reason I certified was to get a closer look at all the great marine life out there. I was also surprised by how much my DI knew about fish & stuff, and how much she really loved doing fish ID, etc. Although we have not been able to work out the fish ID class with her, we (hubby & I) decided to do the ID & the Naturalist classes while on a trip to Miami so we can be more knowledgeable about what we see. The more you know the better - for us, the fish, for everyone!:)

The whole reason that I was interested in diving was because of my love of the ocean. I have had a reef aquarium for around 6 years now, and have read many books on Ocean Life. I think that it is important to know the habitat that you are diving in. There are so many good books out there and it really gives you an appreciation for the ocean.

It is important and very interesting to me to know what I am looking at in the environments I dive in.
To me there is no point in just going down there and staring at the fish/coral etc. without having a good idea what it is you are looking at.
Besides, a fair number of creatures in our local Indian Ocean waters can be dangerous/poisonous and every diver should at least know which those are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom