Liveaboard Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catgirldiver

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I have a liveaboard scheduled in June.

Since we scheduled the trip a new dilemma has arisen.
Last year we went out with 7-9' seas and of course we
got sick, but not until the anchor was in place. I
took medication, my husband did not but he has never
gotten seasick before. We just chalked it up to the
seas being so rough.

Then this past weekend we went out on calm waters and
we both got seasick. We did not take any medication
because the seas were calm.

Can anyone be of any help? We do not know what to do now.
We have sent in our deposit and need to send in the
balance. We would still like to go, but we do not want
to be sick!!!!

Please advise.

catgirldiver

:puke: + :doctor: = :)

Take seasickness medication while on the boat...try and stay near the center of the boat.

If all else fails....play a puke game using targets and such.

How does the liveaboard compare to the boats you experienced seasickness on? It's probably a lot larger, and will be more stable in the water.

I had a similar situation late last year - I puke on every second boat trip, so for two days before the liveaboard, I took Dramamine (non-drowsy). I continued to take it each evening on the boat, and I was fine. I've since found that being "super-hydrated" (drinking copious amounts of water the night before and morning of the boat ride) really helps prevent the onset of involuntary chumming.

Dramamine works well for me, use whatever you've had success with.

The day before the trip I take a pill in the morning and one in the evening. Once the trip begins I continue that regimen and avoid greasy foods. I keep saltine crackers with me and eat some as soon as I get on the boat and any time my stomach even THINKS about feeling queasy--hey, it works for pregnant women right?

So far this has helped me avoid getting seasick. Unfortunately I'm a "sympathy vomiter," nobody pukes alone if I'm around :) Luckily I haven't been around others who are feeding the fish--yet!

If you do a search you'll find all kinds of seasick advice on the board, it's quite a hot topic.
Ber :bunny:

She can refer you out to the local pharmacists with her top 10 list of preferred chemicals (or the all natural variation).

(Sorry... that's nothing but a troll.)

Might want to start by reading the oft posted piece from my Jan/Feb '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Sea sickness, which shows wide variation in susceptibility among individuals, is not yet fully understood. It is believed to occur when portions of the brain tasked with maintaining balance receive input from the eyes, inner ear, muscles and joints that is inconsistent and unexpected over an extended period of time.

Prevention is a first step. Avoid fatigue and get adequate rest. Eat modestly, avoiding greasy, fatty, acidic and spicy foods. Don't skip breakfast, but stick to bland foods like toast, rolls and cereal. Go easy on tea and coffee, and very, very easy on alcoholic beverages. When on the boat, don't get overheated--stay under a sunshade, don't put on your protective suit until necessary, and get in the water as soon as possible. Search out a spot low and in the center where motion is minimized, face forward, focus your eyes on a fixed object on the horizon or elsewhere, avoid unnecessary neck movements and stay out of exhaust fumes. Do not go below, read anything or look through binoculars. If you must vomit, do so freely, but not anywhere on the boat, and especially not in the marine toilet.

There are plenty of medications available, and you may wish to discuss this with your physician. Among those reported to be the most effective are meclizine and scopolamine. Prescription strength meclizine commonly comes as Antivert. Scopolamine can be delivered through a transdermal patch, Transderm Scop, orally, and as a gel applied to the wrists. The gel reportedly works faster, but not as long as the patch. Scopolamine is the US Navy's first line sea sickness drug, including for divers, and DAN approves it with a trial run. Occasionally Phenergan, whose primary indication is as a sedative, is recommended. It can cause very serious drowsiness, however, and is sometimes prescribed in combination with a stimulant to counteract this. The above drugs are prescription only and have reported side effects, most commonly dryness of the mouth and drowsiness. They may also cause blurred vision, dizziness and even confusion in some users, and it is recommended to carefully discuss their use with your physician, give them a trial run prior to use in conjunction with diving, and take them only according to instructions.

Over the counter (OTC) preparations include Bonine, Dramamine (Not recommended due to demonstrated adverse effects on alertness & performance), Dramamine II (Advertised as a "less drowsy" formula. As this implies, be aware that some individuals still do experience some degree of drowsiness.) and Triptone (Same active ingredient as original Dramamine, dimenhydrinate, so draw your own conclusions) . A British drug, Stugeron (cinnarizine), has been mentioned by several sources as an effective treatment (Have seen a recent research piece suggesting impairment in performance at higher doses), but it is not yet available in the US. Those diving in such places as Mexico & the British Virgin Islands can find it. Many report these OTC medications most effective if taken at bedtime the night prior to diving, with a second dose about an hour before diving, although recommended dosage amounts should of course not be exceeded. These medications often cause significant dryness of the mouth. Stay very well hydrated.

Considering more "natural" remedies, ginger is frequently mentioned, which can be taken in powdered, crystallized or root form, or as ginger snaps, ginger ale, or tea. As heartburn with the use of ginger has been reported, also pack an antacid. Others swear by wrist straps, such as 'Sea Bands,' usually wooden or plastic balls on elastic bands which are placed so as to exert pressure on an acupressure point on the inside of the wrist. There are also 'artificial-horizon' glasses. Even aromatherapy has been tried, with a combination of mandarin, peppermint, spearmint and lavender oil being recommended.

In the final analysis, you will need to discover what works best for you with the least risk, side effect, cost and inconvenience. If you take any medications, you should understand their adverse effects and carefully follow directions for use. And remember, there is one safe, sure cure: 'Sleep under a tree all day.' "

Helpful?

DocVikingo

catgirldiver once bubbled...
My husband and I have a liveaboard scheduled in June.

Since we scheduled the trip a new dilemma has arisen.
Last year we went out with 7-9' seas and of course we
got sick, but not until the anchor was in place. I
took medication, my husband did not but he has never
gotten seasick before. We just chalked it up to the
seas being so rough.

Then this past weekend we went out on calm waters and
we both got seasick. We did not take any medication
because the seas were calm.

Can anyone be of any help? We do not know what to do now.
We have sent in our deposit and need to send in the
balance. We would still like to go, but we do not want
to be sick!!!!

Please advise.

catgirldiver

Where's the liveaboard/ If it's in Truk (Chuuk) Lagoon, relax. If it's out on the open ocean, you might have something to worry about.

Lots of the advice you've been given is sound, but judging from my daughter's struggles with seasickness, you're going to have to work out the best solution yourself - there isn't a magic bullet which suits everyone.

Where's the liveaboard

The liveaboard leaves from Ft. Lauderdale and travels to Bimini. The trip is only for two nights. The only time I get sick is when the boat is anchored. I can take the up and down motion. It is the swaying side to side and up down and round and round motion that gets me.:(

for almost 25 years, but it's only since I started diving in the last in the last 4 years that I have suffered from sea sickness - and normally when it is calm. First thing in the morning is when it gets me, especially when the diesels are running - m'mmm the smell of diesel in the morning, outa my way!

The solution for me - fresh air and a nice horizon to look at. The last place I want to be is with my nose in a book or concentrating on a task. Just let me be to admire the distant scenary....

Once the first dive is done - sorted!

Jonathan

I figured I would respond to this since I have very timely first hand experience. I went out on a boat dive this past Saturday to the Coronado Islands. The water was a lot rougher than I expected. I figured I would be fine since I grew up around boats and didn't really have a problem, etc. Well, I did. One of the Navy guys on the boat said I was as white as the fiberglass hull of the boat. Guess I was a pretty site. Anyway, there was a woman on the boat, Anne, who was wearing a bracelet, like the pressure point bracelets mentioned above. The difference was that hers had two electrical contacts on the base. You put some electrically conductive jelly on your wrist, slip on this little clip and push the button. There are five power settings. The unit sends a small electrical shock through your nervous system to alleviate the mixed signals in your brain.

Speaking from experience, and knowing that dramamine makes me very sleepy, I thought this little gadget was the bomb. Within a half hour I felt well enough to eat. Anne told me the unit could be found at most Southern California Walgreens or other drug stores. I will definitely pick one up before my next boat trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom