Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Good regulators that are cheap?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24

Good regulators that are cheap?

Hey guys, I know that regs are very important and I shouldn't go for cheap ones, but I'm on a tight budget so I was hoping you'd be able to help me out. I'm gonna go reg hunting with a mate later today and was wondering what you'd recommend for a beginner. I'm looking for something that's not too expensive but is still high quality. BTW I won't be diving in any extremes (i.e. very deep or very cold water).

I did a little research the other day and found out that Aqua Lung's Calypso XP and ScubaPro's MK2 Plus/R295 were pretty good value for money. What would you guys recommend I should get?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    The problem with AquaLung and ScubaPro is that they are price controlled. There isn't a regulator in the world that is worth the kind of money these things cost. But what are you going to do? My choice is to buy from someone else.

I bought the Dive Rite Hurricane ($399) for my son-in-law. It has the disadvantage of being DIN only but it will work very well for all types of diving included very cold water. Dive Rite Regulators...Performance and Reliability Even at Extraordinary Depths For the octo you can try Dive Rite RG2015 Balanced Backup/Octopus/Deco Regulator $170. Total $570.

For my grandson, I bought the Edge Epic $300 and that includes the octo. I had the cold water kit installed for about $30 Edge Epic Balanced Regulator Set w/Octopus and Bag We haven't had a chance to try this one yet. It will be more than adequate for the next couple of years.

Sometimes your LDS will offer at least some discount to the ScubaPro or AquaLung regulators.

Richard

ScubaBoard Enthusiast

Has not set a "status"

Look at the Sherwood line. You'll find that most shops that sell them also use them as their rental fleet. There is good reason for that, they hold up and are very reliable.

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Sherwood, or as someone recommended the Edge Epic. Great reg, we just put a bunch of epics in rental beginning of summer....really nice and durable...and a great value at $299!
    Dive Right In Scuba.com
    Mike Pedersen, Operations Manager

815-267-8400

Like us on Facebook - Dive Shop
    Like us on Facebook- Dive Boat

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    LeisurPro did have the AL Titan LX for 174 dollars. Hard to beat that.

N

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24
    I did some looking on LeisurePro.com. What I'm doing is looking for regs that have had at least 8 reviews and have at least a 4 star rating and are a good price. I've made a list so that when I go out later I can look for them. Can I trust the reviews?

This is what I've got so far:

Scubapro MK2 Plus/R190 Regulator $184.95
    Aqualung Calypso Regulator $174.95
    AquaLung Titan LX Regulator $274.95
    Aqualung Titan Regulator $204.95
    Cressi-Sub Ellipse Alaska Titanium/MC7 Regulator $324.95
    Cressi-Sub Ellipse Titanium/MC7 Regulator $259.95
    Cressi-Sub XS2/AC2 Piston Regulator $144.95

are they any good?

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemrod View Post
    LeisurPro did have the AL Titan LX for 174 dollars. Hard to beat that.
    PLEASE BE AWARE that Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized Aqua Lung dealer. The fine print is available directly from Aqua Lung. Some things I will purchase from Leisure Pro, but for anything that I want to ensure I have a warranty (and recall information) on, I go to an authorized dealer for that product.

Look for the best deal you can find, but know what you are getting for that price.

Scuba Instructor

Scuba Whisperer

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    The best reg that I have found for the money is a Zeagle Envoy or Envoy Deluxe. It breathes as well as my Apeks ATX 200 or my Atomic B2. Its small and low profile first stage is unobtrusive and travels well. It is a workhorse reg. I use it when teaching my classes and put considerable strain on it almost daily.
    Zeagle Envoy Regulator reviews and discounts, Zeagle
    Zeagle Envoy Deluxe Regulator reviews and discounts, Zeagle

"I may be vile and pernicious, but you can't look away. I bet you think I'm delicious, with the stuff that I say."
    FZ

https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoScubaDivingAcademy www.codivingacademy.com

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Chicago, but dive in FL. Not true anymore, as I did my first Lake Michigan dive.
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by torqd View Post
    PLEASE BE AWARE that Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized Aqua Lung dealer. The fine print is available directly from Aqua Lung. Some things I will purchase from Leisure Pro, but for anything that I want to ensure I have a warranty (and recall information) on, I go to an authorized dealer for that product.

Look for the best deal you can find, but know what you are getting for that price.
    If your regulator craps out when you are underwater, no warranty in the world will help you.

For my daughters, I buy the Mares Rebel piston regulator with matching octopus. About USD 210 at LP; I just checked. The LDS I use services them with no problems.

Good Luck!
    Gary
    NASDS Scuba Diver (1970), SSI Diver Stress & Rescue (2004), SSI AOW (2005), SSI Master Diver (2011)
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Aristotle; Greek critic, philosopher, physicist, & zoologist (384 BCE - 322 BCE)

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    I've had the Titan reg for 3 years and it's done over 100 dives w/o a problem. Available for < US$200. Aqualung recommends only 2 yr service interval (mine may get one some day). Breathes well and dry at any angle. Can't give you any comparative techie insight. It would be great to have an experienced service technician comment on your question.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast