Good regulators that are cheap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexrey

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I know that regs are very important and I shouldn't go for cheap ones, but I'm on a tight budget so I was hoping you'd be able to help me out. I'm gonna go reg hunting with a mate later today and was wondering what you'd recommend for a beginner. I'm looking for something that's not too expensive but is still high quality. BTW I won't be diving in any extremes (i.e. very deep or very cold water).

I did a little research the other day and found out that Aqua Lung's Calypso XP and ScubaPro's MK2 Plus/R295 were pretty good value for money. What would you guys recommend I should get?

The problem with AquaLung and ScubaPro is that they are price controlled. There isn't a regulator in the world that is worth the kind of money these things cost. But what are you going to do? My choice is to buy from someone else.

I bought the Dive Rite Hurricane ($399) for my son-in-law. It has the disadvantage of being DIN only but it will work very well for all types of diving included very cold water. Dive Rite Regulators...Performance and Reliability Even at Extraordinary Depths For the octo you can try Dive Rite RG2015 Balanced Backup/Octopus/Deco Regulator $170. Total $570.

For my grandson, I bought the Edge Epic $300 and that includes the octo. I had the cold water kit installed for about $30 Edge Epic Balanced Regulator Set w/Octopus and Bag We haven't had a chance to try this one yet. It will be more than adequate for the next couple of years.

Sometimes your LDS will offer at least some discount to the ScubaPro or AquaLung regulators.

Richard

Look at the Sherwood line. You'll find that most shops that sell them also use them as their rental fleet. There is good reason for that, they hold up and are very reliable.

LeisurPro did have the AL Titan LX for 174 dollars. Hard to beat that.

N

I did some looking on LeisurePro.com. What I'm doing is looking for regs that have had at least 8 reviews and have at least a 4 star rating and are a good price. I've made a list so that when I go out later I can look for them. Can I trust the reviews?

This is what I've got so far:

Scubapro MK2 Plus/R190 Regulator $184.95
Aqualung Calypso Regulator $174.95
AquaLung Titan LX Regulator $274.95
Aqualung Titan Regulator $204.95
Cressi-Sub Ellipse Alaska Titanium/MC7 Regulator $324.95
Cressi-Sub Ellipse Titanium/MC7 Regulator $259.95
Cressi-Sub XS2/AC2 Piston Regulator $144.95

are they any good?

LeisurPro did have the AL Titan LX for 174 dollars. Hard to beat that.

PLEASE BE AWARE that Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized Aqua Lung dealer. The fine print is available directly from Aqua Lung. Some things I will purchase from Leisure Pro, but for anything that I want to ensure I have a warranty (and recall information) on, I go to an authorized dealer for that product.

Look for the best deal you can find, but know what you are getting for that price.

PLEASE BE AWARE that Leisure Pro is NOT an authorized Aqua Lung dealer. The fine print is available directly from Aqua Lung. Some things I will purchase from Leisure Pro, but for anything that I want to ensure I have a warranty (and recall information) on, I go to an authorized dealer for that product.

Look for the best deal you can find, but know what you are getting for that price.

If your regulator craps out when you are underwater, no warranty in the world will help you.

For my daughters, I buy the Mares Rebel piston regulator with matching octopus. About USD 210 at LP; I just checked. The LDS I use services them with no problems.

Good Luck!

I've had the Titan reg for 3 years and it's done over 100 dives w/o a problem. Available for < US$200. Aqualung recommends only 2 yr service interval (mine may get one some day). Breathes well and dry at any angle. Can't give you any comparative techie insight. It would be great to have an experienced service technician comment on your question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom