Diving After ACL Reconstruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeyU

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd post this to get some feedback from the experience of others.

I am having ACL reconstruction on December 18th. I am newly certified (Oct5th) and only have a couple of dives under my belt. Needless to say, I'm hooked. After talking to my surgeon's PA today, he thinks it could be at least 6 months before I dive again.:depressed: The bad part about all of this is that I am going to be on Grand Turk in June, and was hoping to dive there. We're going there on a cruise.

For the medical info, I am having a double bundle hamstring graft done for the reconstruction.

I was able to complete certification on a bum knee. I tore the ACL in May.

Has anyone had this done before? Even the specific surgery? If you did, or you know of someone who did, how long were you out before you were back to diving again. I'd hate to miss diving in Turks.

Thanks

Joe

Like you Joe I did my certification while waiting for ACL surgery. I tore my ACL in July 2004, then my wife and I got certified in September 2004. My ACL was completely gone due to a karate injury.

I had my surgery done on Dec 17th, 2004 using a donor (cadaver) ACL. I took three weeks off from work, religiously performed my physical therapy, and was walking limp free about 6 weeks after surgery. Physical therapy lasted for about three months. Even right after the surgery, my flexibility was really good. You'll learn all about flexibility from your physical therapist. Flexibility will become your goal.

Our dive cert was not fun so we put diving on the back burner for a couple of years, but I was back on the karate mat as soon as I completed my physical therapy (sometime during the fourth month after the surgery). I took it easy and didn't push the pain threshold to the injury point. The way my sports orthropod explained it, your body basically replaces the cadaver ACL over the course of a year or two. I'm over simplifying what he said, but I understood that he wanted me to take it easy until my "confidence" returned. You'll know what he meant by "confidence" after you have the surgery. One benefit was that I did get a WAY COOL, high-tech, $2000 sports knee brace out of the deal that actually helped me improve my golf game!

Eat lots of protein, do your physical therapy as soon as possible after the surgery, and keep doing it until you're released. Recognize your pain threshold and don't go beyond it. That doesn't mean no pain. Oh, you'll have pain, but it is easily manageable.

If I can get back on the karate mat in less than four months after my ACL surgery, I suspect you'll easily be able to do some diving on your Grand Turk trip six months after the surgery. You'll know if you're ready.

Oh, and because you're having the double-bundle hamstring graft done, I suspect you'll be up and around even faster than I was.

Oh, and because you're having the double-bundle hamstring graft done, I suspect you'll be up and around even faster than I was.

Thanks for the great info in both posts.

My understanding of both the cadaveric graft and the autograft (hamstring/patellar tendon) is that the cadaveric graft heals faster because there is no additional surgery to harvest the graft. I actually considered the cadaveric, but learned that the graft is not as strong as the autograft. Since I play soccer, I'm really looking foreward to getting back on the field for that, but I know that won't be until september at best.

I already have the tricked out custom molded knee brace. I got that the day they diagnosed the tear by MRI. My background is athletic training, and my case study my senior year was care and rehabilitation of an ACL tear. I know all about flexibility, especially maintaining 0 degrees of extension. Flexion comes with time, and according to the literature, they are a little more cautious with the hamstring graft because there is no bone on bone plug like the patellar graft. The healing time is shorter than the patellar graft because harvesting the graft isn't as invasive as cutting part of your patella out!:crying:

Your results are definitely encouraging though. Thanks for the responses.

Sorry to everyone else for the semi-gruesome explanations above.

Joe

Holy smokes!

I had ACL orthopd surgery in 2003. I was walking in 3 days no crutches. Surgery lasted a couple months then my next soccer game blew it out again. I have rehab like crazy and the knee is great now, but doctors have suggested have the same surgery you are having.
I have the tricked out custom knee brace as well. I only wear it when I am running.

I have put off the surgery for 3 years and do not have any plans of having it done anytime soon. (baby, diving, moving to Hawaii have been bigger priority) The knee does not bother me at all, but I also don't push it to the limits.
I will be interested to hear how your knee feels when it is all over with. Maybe it will inspire me to get mine taken care of.....finally.

Good luck

My suggestion would be to do what someone on my last trip did. She had an injured knee that under went some proceedure. She would sit down on the rear platform of the boat. The DM would assist her in putting on her BC. She then slid herself off into the water. When coming out, just step up the boat ladder using the good leg only, and be sure someone is there to assist getting you out.

Work hard in PT. The more you give, the more you get out of it. Eat well balanced meals, adding extra protein will help. Follow your doctors recommendations to heal fastest. If he says ice it for 3 hours a day, then ice it 3 hours a day. A knee brace will be a good idea to help support the knee.

I had an ACL recon done in Sept. of 03 using my hamstring (not sure about the double bundle part). Six weeks later I spent 9 days walking around Disney World. I put suregery off for years but am so glad that I finally did it. I wasn't a diver then but I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to dive when you go vacation.
I've since had to have the meniscus cleaned up - surgery on June 18 2008, pool work on June 28th and open water dives July 4th. The orthopedic doctor said diving was ok as long as the stitches were out. Had my husband carry gear to the shore and then I put in on in the water to lessen the stress on the knee but haven't had any problems since the surgery and have done 20 dives since July :) PT is your friend even though it is painful at times.

Good luck and let us all know how it goes!
Julie

As a veteran of multiple knee surgeries on both knees (the last one this summer), I can tell you that there is no "one size fits all" answer for the speed of recovery. Everybody recovers at a different rate, and every surgery (and injury) is different.

I do know that I end up better off than when I start. One day I am going to end up with a pair of titanium knees, but that isn't going to stop either my cycling or my diving.

Physical therapy is IMPORTANT. Do not cheat, ever... do all your stretching and your exercises, they will speed your recovery, and make it as complete as possible.

Hang in there, it is tough and it is a pain but you will come out on the other side of it glad to have it done.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I ordered a cryo cuff today for ice and compression. I've got both the treadmill in the basement and my big screen tv/couch area ready for me!

I'll keep everyone posted as to how the surgery/recovery goes. The quicker that goes, the sooner I get to the bottom of the ocean in turks!

Joe

Oooooh, I forgot about the cryo cuff. I LOVED that thing!!!!! It will become your best friend.

Back
Top Bottom