Oil Rigs in the Gulf of Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdb

Reaction score
There is a rumor floating around about a safety zone around oil rigs in the Gulf. Rumor is that a 100 yard area around oil rigs is off limits to boaters, fishing and diving. Has anyone else heard this and does anyone know if it is true or not. I originally heard this several months after 9/11 and was told that it just went into effect.

thanks

Thats all well and good. Who is going to enforce it?

Plenty of unmanned rigs out there.

I am assuming this only affects working rigs. Not rigs that are capped?

TwoBit

If it only affects working rigs then that is fine with me I hardly ever dive those anyway. But would like to know for sure before tomorrow, Planning on diviing several of them if weather permits. and with my luck I would be the one they chose to make an example out of.

Finally got in touch with someone at marine resources, Presently there is no law or rule, there are however several bills both local and federal that would set a distance to maintain.

Saw this thread earlier and got a chance to ask a Coast Guard guy that comes in to the shop a few minutes ago. He said that there are currently no restrictions around either active or inactive rigs in the Gulf.

Send congressman note that I am against putting a restrictive barrier around gulf rigs.

TwoBit

Such a law would only inconvenience law abiding citizens, and would deter no one with ill intent. Anyone actually proposing such a law is simply trying to make a show for the uninformed, and considers his/her constituents ignorant bufoons - it is an insult to anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together.
Rick

I've never even seen an oil rig up close, much less been diving on one.

Am I to understand that you dive near working rigs?

Are there tankers and other mechanical hazards?

How deep and what's there to see?

There are some differences to diving rigs. You normally stay interior on the rig or within its legs. The legs and cross members can get coveres in corals and gorgonians. They are popular spots to spear fish snapper and amber jack. There are some hazards involved in fishing line, cable, and your compass won't work. You can get big 'cuda and sharks as well.

Its different, for us its kinda like diving a wreck. Sometimes there is no bottom though. Deep rigs are just that... deep.

No boat traffic hazards.

Shallow rigs will have a debris field around them.

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom