how many certs do you need

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gold4

Reaction score
I have read on this board alot of people have multiple certification from different dive companies for example I read that someone on the board has padi, ssi naui... would you recommend certification for more than one diving company and what are the major differences in these other companies. :) ps I hope this is the right thread to ask this question

When you tend to read multiple certification agencies on people's profiles, much of the time they are either instructors/DM's with certification to teach to the requirements of the different agencies. In many cases they are able to take cross-over classes to certify at an "equivalent" level. The other reason for multiple agencies can be specialty courses taught by diff. agencies. Example, certifies Open Water with one, DM with another, Nitrox with a third.

There is no real necessity to get your "open water" from multiple agencies. It is much more important to use each certification as a learners licence to the next level. Find a really good instructor or instructors (regardless of agency) and learn all you can.

Basic Open Water is all you "need". Any agency is fine. I have take classes with SSI and PADI but they are very similar in class content.

As far as additional certs, take what you need. Take an Advanced Course if you want to learn some more advanced skills but not just because you want another card. Some of the very best divers I know are "just" open water certified.

I would say to take some specialties if you are interested in the topic. Some specialities are a waste time in my book.

Rescue is not needed but a very good class.

Scott

There are some operators that require Advanced Open Water in order to take some off shore trips without a dive master, and I suppose you could make the case for experience backed up with log books, but sometimes OW won't be enough.

Scottri once bubbled...
Rescue is not needed but a very good class.

Scott

I truly believe that Rescue is perhaps one of the most important courses you can take. If your dive goals are largely to dive on vacation in a supervised environment (ie. DM guided dives), then perhaps Rescue isn't going to be of massive immediate benefit but if you plan on diving on your own, it is almost imparative.

I see OW, AOW and Rescue as being three parts of the dive curriculum. Not that you can't dive without all three, but I certainly think your comfort level and your buddies confidence will be much improved once these are completed.

I would like to add Nitrox as a needed certification. Unless, of course, you blend your own. :boozer:

OWI is all you really need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom