New PADI c-card available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guess it is. Reading this link it says:

"Does your instructor offer something in addition to the regular PADI Specialties?

In addition to the Standardized PADI Specialty programs (Wreck Diver, Deep Diver, etc.), PADI Distinctive Specialty programs are approved by PADI and taught by various PADI Instructors throughout the world.

Programs that have been approved are numerous in number and range from Shark Awareness to Public Safety Diver."

Interesting.

I'm not sure what to think. It does look legit. However, I was at the PADI website just before I logged on here & there was no mention of this new MBS specialty. I tempted to think its BS (as opposed to MBS) But with PADI, who knows what they'll think of next.

The instructor I usualy work with has a "Distinctive Specialty" he developed and PADI approved. I've seen his instructor card for it.

Underwater Cartographer. (map making)

He hasn't had time to really offer to teach it to the general public yet as he's been really buisy with grad-school lately. He asked if I'd be interested in being his first official student when he does start it so I could then divemaster it for him later on.

I already have a good idea of what it entails as I was one of his proof-readers before he submited the final draft of it to PADI.

He has been working in the Geographic Information Systems (GIS) industry for years and is an instructor for several mapping software packages as well as being a SCUBA instructor for the last 7 years or so.

For those who aren't familiar. A distinctive specialty is one that is not in the regular lineup of classes. You can write a course outline and standards, document your experience in the area and submit it to PADI for approval. You can also be approved to teach someone elses distinctive specialty but that usually envolve the purchase of their outline.

Off the top of my head a few classes that exist but aren't regular PADI classes...
Underwater hunter
Full Face Mask
Law 1 and Law 2 (PSD stuff)
There are also some underwater investigator classes that I don't know the name of...Underwater Crime sceen or something.

Someone probably even teaches an underwater basket weaving or something.

As far as those distinctive classes go, I know that there is a "cold water diver" specialty that some people have done....or, a "buddy diver" course.

A bunch of other dumb things like that. PADI will give you a c-card for anything if you give them the money :)

...was character diving. I think it's offered by Disney World, and they use it to teach staff to dive with a big mouse head over your head....I'm thinking the trim issues alone would be interesting <grin>

I think the class is also intended for the safety diver that always dives with the characters.

Peace,
Cathie

Golf Ball Diving -don't know if this is PADI-approved or not...

http://www.seatasea.com/CrsSpec.htm

Seatasea Golf Ball Diver - "NEW" Ever look at a golf course pond and wonder what is really in there? Or have you lost so many balls that you want to get a few back! Seatasea Golf Ball Diver teaches the proper methods for golf ball retrieval from mud, weed and creepy-crawly infested golf course ponds. This course will familiarize you with the proper equipment for golf ball retrieval. You will learn how to find golf balls in -0 visibility and how to keep them from slipping out of your hands when you try to put them in your collection bag. Discover new ways to protect yourself from flying golf balls during daylight retrieval and what to do if your buddy gets conked on the head. Also learn which balls are better then other balls and who has bigger! Course fee is $20 and includes one air tank (with air), Instruction, Seatasea completion certificate and a 32 oz bottle of Sanizide Sanitizer for your equipment..and your body!

Course prerequisite is PADI Open Water Diver or Jr. Open Water Diver or equivalent from another recognized training organization. This could even be a Discover Scuba Diving Experience for you if you have never dove before, however we doubt we could get any of our instructors to get in the water.

Mark

I've seen a PADI C-Card for Gourmet Marine Chef before. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom