Calves cramping on cold water dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Looked this up & found nothing & perhaps it may even be in the wrong forum area. Living in KY (meaning mostly fresh water diving), & wanting to dive year round, means that I must do cold water diving. Whether the water is cold from seasons or form depths (most fresh water here stays at about 45- 42 degrees year round below 50 ft). I find sometimes when I'm cold water diving, I have some problems with my calves cramping up. It's not usually a major issue, I just stop. stretch my cramping leg out & then continue on. When I'm doing this cold water diving, I dive a drysuit & I am typically in double tanks & have to use SP Jet Fins to be able to push myself through the water. I have dove this same configuration in warmer waters without any problems. Anyone else have this problem? Any reasons why this may be happening? Any suggestions to prevent it? Thanks all.

I have the same problem from time to time and still can't quite figure it out either. I work on swimming laps with fins 3 plus times a week, jogging some, calf exercises and stretches, and staying hydrated. All this seems to help, but occasionally I still get the cramps.

I've noticed that it often happens on ascent at the point where my wetsuit legs are becoming constrictive due to suit decompression. So now I try to get out of my wetsuit between dives to let my legs relax. But you're diving a drysuit.

One last thing to think about which may sound silly, but you're not unconsciously curling your toes are you?

I know I haven't given you a real answer but maybe some things to think about.

Looked this up & found nothing & perhaps it may even be in the wrong forum area. Living in KY (meaning mostly fresh water diving), & wanting to dive year round, means that I must do cold water diving. Whether the water is cold from seasons or form depths (most fresh water here stays at about 45- 42 degrees year round below 50 ft). I find sometimes when I'm cold water diving, I have some problems with my calves cramping up. It's not usually a major issue, I just stop. stretch my cramping leg out & then continue on. When I'm doing this cold water diving, I dive a drysuit & I am typically in double tanks & have to use SP Jet Fins to be able to push myself through the water. I have dove this same configuration in warmer waters without any problems. Anyone else have this problem? Any reasons why this may be happening? Any suggestions to prevent it? Thanks all.

I'm not sure of the reason, but it is a huge issue...almost everyone I know has at one point or another had this happen (Ok, there may be some that don't).

You would think it would happen more in hot weather..

I suppose it is possible that dehydration is not felt the same in cold conditions.. so one is more likely to be dehydrated, but that is one serious guess.

I have had it happen during a skills update in a pool with just swim trunks after being in the water for about 45 minutes. But I had not been diving for a while prior to that. I summed it up to conditioning for myself. I must have looked funny to the new students that were there as well they were probably wondering why that guy had his fins off and why was he doing leg stretches on the bottom of the pool?:shocked2:

Cold muscles are more prone to cramping.

Couple of suggestions.
Is your Dry Suit restrictive in any way? I always seemed to get more cramp if I wore a club suit instead of my own.
Are your legs getting cold? Cold aggravates cramp and even though your body may feel warm are your legs warm?
Back in England cramp due to cold conditions is pretty common.

Cold muscles are more prone to cramping.
Also, on cold water dives you tend to have more and heavier gear which makes you work harder..

Yeah...I get the same thing...occasionally it's pretty bad, but most of the time I can just feel the muscle twitching as the dive wears on. I hydrate like a bugger, (usually Gatorade) and it still happens...just gave up and chalked it up to the cold water.

Stretches beforehand help me (but not right before the dive, usually before I leave I do some good leg stretches, then when I get to the site do a few stretches, but nothing after I suit up like I used to do. Someone recommended that to me (on here I think) and I tend to cramp less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom