Fundies: Like the idea, but not the equipment requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Quite a while ago, I posted a thread asking people who had thought about doing GUE Fundamentals why they hadn't done it. Although some reported cost or logistics concerns, a lot of people said they just didn't want to have to go get all new equipment just to find out what all the fuss was about.

Well, now you don't have to. Although a class called "Essentials" has been available in the Bay Area for several years, there were only a couple of instructors, so it was a very local thing. This class is now available up and down the West Coast, and in a number of other US sites, and in Singapore (as well as other places by arrangement with the instructor). Essentials is sort of the first half of Fundies -- It focuses on buoyancy and trim, introduces the non-silting kicks, and goes through air-sharing procedures. The only specific equpment requirements are that you must use a long-hose/bungied backup regulator configuration (which might require buying a 5' hose) and non-split fins.

This class is designed to be taken in a single tank, and is another option (in addition to Fundies, cavern, or the variety of Intro to Tech classes) for people to get the buoyancy, trim and propulsion instruction that people rave about from Fundies classes. Essentials is taught by Unified Team Diving.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Unified Team Diving -- I don't teach for them or work for them. My husband DID take Essentials, and really liked the class.

Interesting. I absolutely LOVE the fact the gas you are rated for is on your card. I asked NAUI if they could do this and they said no.

Quite a while ago, I posted a thread asking people who had thought about doing GUE Fundamentals why they hadn't done it. Although some reported cost or logistics concerns, a lot of people said they just didn't want to have to go get all new equipment just to find out what all the fuss was about.
This is exactly why I have not done it. Even if the gear config is infinitely better, for any reason one might try to use - I'm not replacing all my perfectly good, like-new gear, "just because."

Well, now you don't have to. Although a class called "Essentials" has been available in the Bay Area for several years, there were only a couple of instructors, so it was a very local thing. This class is now available up and down the West Coast, and in a number of other US sites, and in Singapore (as well as other places by arrangement with the instructor). Essentials is sort of the first half of Fundies -- It focuses on buoyancy and trim, introduces the non-silting kicks, and goes through air-sharing procedures.
How does the cost compare? Here, the GUE shop charges $500 for Fundamentals. I'm not sure if it teaches essentials or not.

The only specific equpment requirements are that you must use a long-hose/bungied backup regulator configuration (which might require buying a 5' hose) and non-split fins.
Well, there you go. What's the point in training with gear that you're not going to use anyway? Even if they gave me non-split fins to use for the class, after it is over, I'd be using my split fins - so I don't see the value in it.

It's really a shame too, because I'd like to work on these skills and such. Ah well.

Well that course sounds like a great idea TSandM, wish they offered it in my area! I already have the 5' hose and non-split fins so would be set for the class :) I would like to do Fundies but I do not want to replace my equipment just for the class.

Nudedive wrote
Even if they gave me non-split fins to use for the class, after it is over, I'd be using my split fins - so I don't see the value in it.
Would you still use split fins if you had learned from the class that non-split fins gave you much better kicking efficiency? One of the things you must have going into any class is an open mind -- who knows, even you might learn something that changes the way you dive -- I did.

Nude Diver, I don't know what the instructors are charging for Essentials, and I believe it will vary from place to place, as costs do. Mind you, this is NOT a GUE class and would most likely not be offered through a GUE-affiliated shop.

If the curriculum intrigues you, what would be wrong with getting on e-bay and picking up a set of blade fins for the class? If you decided they worked well for you, you could keep or upgrade them. If you decided you liked the splits better, you could go back to them and try to use them with the new skills you picked up from the class. Brand new Jet fins cost $70 something from LeisurePro, and can be picked up for far less on e-bay if your eyes are sharp. But you don't need Jets -- you just need a fairly stiff blade fin. A lot of cave divers use the DiveRite paddle fins, so I suspect they'd work, too.

I will be taking Essentials in May (I believe). I absolutely can't wait! Although I'm all set up for Fundies, I have found an instructor that I want to take a class through, and he happens to be UTD. I'm stoked....wish I could do it sooner!

Why bother taking fundies-lite if it still has some gear requirements? You can still work on gear trim, buoyancy and finning on your own?

Nudedive wrote Would you still use split fins if you had learned from the class that non-split fins gave you much better kicking efficiency?
Yes.

One of the things you must have going into any class is an open mind -- who knows, even you might learn something that changes the way you dive -- I did.
You could start by having your mind open enough to consider that someone else's mind may be open, but have different motivations than yourself - and that for them, "kick efficiency" is not the be all, end all motivator.

For example:

a). My split fins are already bought and paid for. Not everyone has the luxury of buying endless amounts of new gear just because they may want to.

b). Medical issues involving my knees (which are not OEM) make split fins much preferable to non-split fins (and yes, I have tried both).

Nude Diver, I don't know what the instructors are charging for Essentials, and I believe it will vary from place to place, as costs do. Mind you, this is NOT a GUE class and would most likely not be offered through a GUE-affiliated shop.
Ah, I see.

If the curriculum intrigues you, what would be wrong with getting on e-bay and picking up a set of blade fins for the class?
I hate e-bay :) But I understand your point.

If you decided they worked well for you, you could keep or upgrade them. If you decided you liked the splits better, you could go back to them and try to use them with the new skills you picked up from the class.
I could probably stuff my foot into my wife's paddle fins (although, I dunno how stiff they are). But at the end of the day, I'm still going to be using my split fins (see previous post as to why). I'm not seeing the point behind paying for a class if I am going to only make use of a fraction of the material - esp. given other priorities. But still - it's nice to see someone offering a techniques class without AS MUCH OF the gear requirements as GUE has - and I appreciate your OP :)

Thanks!
nd

Why bother taking fundies-lite if it still has some gear requirements? You can still work on gear trim, buoyancy and finning on your own?

Taking a class and practicing skills on your own are not mutually exclusive.

The people I dive with are of the same experience level as I, so we are all still learning together. Instruction would be nice so I can be shown the right way of doing things, and would allow me then to go away and practice those skills and will help me avoid getting into bad habits.

Back
Top Bottom