Need advice and help on surface bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadudee

Reaction score
Recently was given an Oceanic Pro Tours back inflation BCD.

Can someone help me to overcome the forward push syndrome by the BCD ? As was told that this is very common also.

To start with:-

I am about 130lbs, uses a back lift of about 40lbs capacity.

Using two or three weights currently. Found that when inflating on the surface, I tend to be pushed with my face downwards ... annoying ...ended I have to deflate and fin to keep afloat sometimes.

Will additional weights on my front pockets help?

Do you have an aluminium tank? At the end of the dive these can be quite floaty. A little exta weight at the back will help with general ballance. You could add some lead to the cam bands.

Generally the best thing to do is lean back a bit into the wing and relax, like sitting on an armchair.

I had the same problem for a little while with my back inflate Scubapro Knighthawk. I distrubuted my weights a little better, and put some small 1lbs in the trim pockets on the back. But I still kept pitching forward.

But then after doing a bit of reading and some thinking I figured it out.

What is your tendancy to do at the surface? Fill you BC with air of course. In a back inflate BC don't put so much air in. Just enough to keep you at the surface and then just lean back and relax.

I totally know how you feel. Like you just keep kicking to keep your head out of the damn water.

Good luck, I hope that helps.

-Matt

If you are pushed forward, you might want to try moving the weight more to the back, rather than the front in order to get the right trim.

This might be more complicated if the weights are integrated.

I will not advise you to add non-removable weight, as I personnaly don't like it. You might want to try a pocket weight belt and use the rear pockets.

Using a steel tank might also be helpful in offseting the torque that pushes your forward.

At the end of the day, a lot of back inflated BCs have a tendency to push forward. Some more and some less.

I use a back inflated BC as well and got used to it. I practice my own advices and got the forward pushing torque to a minimum.

Ari :)

We use tank weight here in SA
2 Cylindrical weights attached to the tank
you can raise or lower them to suit pitch.
I find small high waisted women,and large men with no buts often have the problem with weight managment
intergrated weights put the weight low and forward and we balence that with the rear tank weights.
Howard

Thank you so much guys!!!!!!

But the weights at the back of the harness is pretty high up.... will a weight belt actually help?

Putting your weights in the front pockets will only make it worse. When doing warm water diving, I put all of my weight on my tank. ( I only wear about 6 lbs without a westuit).
When using a wetsuit, I will pull my belt around so the weights are in the back, just over my butt and under the tank.
Everyone is shaped differently, this doesn't work for some people.
Both of these seem to keep me in the proper balance.

...adding some weight pockets to your tank band?

I guess the ultimate solution is not to over-inflate (if you are using an AL80 tank, it's got quite a bit of lift empty - somewhere around 4lbs, if I remember correctly), but you may find that the tank weights help you trim a little better, as well as pull your back down in the water at the surface.

Others have already suggested trying a steel tank. In particular, you might try a mini, high pressure steel 72 (Scubapro makes them). These guys are much more negative than aluminum 80s, and a bit more negative than steel 80s. Hence, this should have the same effect as adding weight to your trim pockets or to your tank, and it will drop the over-all amount of weight you need to wear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom